Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Living in a Desert????



I feel like we are living in the desert! The weather dips down to about 5ºC (about 41ºF) at night but gets very warm during the day – mid to high 60’s. Okay, not quite desert temperatures during the day but you get the drift. We have to turn the furnace on at night (only at 66F) because the other morning it was just above 60 which was getting a little too chilly for me. As soon as I get up it gets turned off though because it warms up very quickly as soon as the sun comes out. 

Only a very few trees are starting to turn colour yet but it probably won’t be long. We had a nice hour long walk along Mud Creek after lunch and saw a 2 Blue Herons, an Egret, a Cormorant and several hundred ducks and geese. Let’s just say we had to watch where we walk!

Today’s card is the one that I made that revealed the type of glue to use with vellum.



More Inkadinkado stamps stamped on white cardstock with Versamark and embossed with in white. Then Distress inks were sponged over the top and of course the embossed area resists the ink…except I do rub a clean cloth over the embossed areas to remove any ink that might linger there. This time I splattered some water on and it reacts to the Distress inks and makes a lovely background even better. 

So I decided to hold the vellum in place by adding the strips of ribbon in opposite corners and if adhesive is under those strips, it won’t show. The closest adhesive to me was the one I use the most on cards that comes from Dollarama (a dollar store in Ontario). I use this one on cards and not scrapbooking even though it says “acid free”….it costs a $1.00 or maybe up to $1.25 now so how acid free is it compared to the ones that cost $8 or $9??? I take no chances so I use Zip Dry glue for scrapbooking. Anyway, I ran the adhesive across the top and bottom of the card and placed the vellum on top and lo and behold, I couldn’t see the glue! What? Glue always shows through – even the expensive one made for vellum which I hate because it gums up and never comes off straight. I waited and waited…nope, no glue showing. The ribbon ends were still attached but only for decoration. The sentiment was stamped on the vellum with Archival ink….not all ink will dry on vellum but Archival Ink and Stazon does. So there you go. A very inexpensive adhesive that is invisible under vellum.......... You’re welcome!

Tonight is quilt guild night! We are having a trunk show tonight so that should be good to get the quilting vibes inspired.

That’s all for a Wednesday,

Cheers
Violet

2 comments:

  1. YOu know i would just like a day i didn't have to run the aircond. grrrr...lol . What a beautiful card Violet! Love the color. I've never played with Velum before but i will file your tip away for another day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy i'm slipping......i almost missed it.....So what Dessert are you living in Violet??? Chocolate cake??? Ice Cream?? I know you don't like sweets but if you HAD to pick something what kind of Dessert would you have over there in your Desert??? LOL! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...