Monday, March 2, 2015

A New Butterfly Die



We had a very mild weekend compared to the last few weeks and it will be even warmer tomorrow with the temperatures right around 0C (32F) but unfortunately they are calling for snow, then rain and freezing rain tomorrow. When that leaves another cold spell will arrive from Colorado. We are not expected to get anywhere new normal temperatures until late March. Groan, groan, and groan again. The first person who complains about the heat this summer could get slapped!

Today I had to go to the post office to mail a birthday card for one of my sons-in-law and while I was out I popped into the grocery store and then Value Village. I figured finding a bargain twice in a row would be too much to ask for but I’m glad I stopped in. This time I got three 8 ½” x 11” Technique Tuesday stamp sets – one alphabet; one swirls (yes more swirls) and one fancy frames – all 3 for $4.99. I found the last one on Technique Tuesday’s website – it is a retired set but the cost was $19.99. I think three for $4.99 counts as a bargain!

Today’s card is another sympathy card. This one, unfortunately, I have to send to the parents of a young 16 year old who died of cancer on the weekend. He is a cousin of one of my sons-in-law and was a delightful young man who fought this insidious disease with everything he had. Sad time for his family for sure. We’ve shared many a meal and good time with this family at my daughter’s in-laws where we all went for various holidays so we knew him quite well. Here is the card I made for them.


  
It looks crooked but it is my camera. I always line up the photo straight with the lines on my camera but they come out crooked. I should take it in for repairs I think. Anyway, this card was made with a new Memory Box die I bought recently. It was first die cut in white cardstock and glued to the rusty-orange swirly background paper which was then glued to the white card base. I tried a few different ways to get a solid butterfly behind the cut out ones and none of the things I tired are worth mentioning and were all failures as the small pieces kept falling out. I finally just embossed the yellow cardstock and then cut the butterflies out and glued them on where they belonged and then glued just the middle of the filigree cut butterflies so they pop up a bit. The filigree butterflies are die cut along with the rest of it so you don’t have to have another colour behind them but it is what I wanted so that’s what I did. The label is one half of a Sizzix label die cut from the same yellow and the edges inked. The sentiment itself is a peel-off but it started out silver which didn’t go with the card at all so I cut it off the sheet, placed it on an old piece of plastic and pounced some dark alcohol ink on it. That works every time!

That’s all for a Monday,

Cheers
Violet

1 comment:

  1. Lucky ,lucky, lucky you are so lucky!!!! I tell you what i'm gonna have my eye open for a few thrift stores in Arkansas... :)

    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a courageous young man. Used to be a time in my life i didn't know anyone who had had cancer or died from it. Now i know too many.

    Beautiful card Violet. You always make me want to make cards. Its been a while since i've made any.. remember those feather cards?? yeah long time ago.... Trouble is i have a whole boxful of cards for every occassion you can think of that i picked up at an estate sale. They belonged to the elderly mother that had passed. The whole box was only $5 and the daughter was so so happy she found a home for them as her mother loved to write letters and send cards..just like me! Serendipity ! Stay warm Violet! I'm afraid i'm going to have to duck out of the way of your slap this summer because i promise you i will be complaining about Arkansas heat and humidity... It may take me a few years to get used to it if ever.... Big hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...