Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Land of Ice and Snow????


The land of ice and snow is under a heat advisory. This morning we had to do some errands for my sister-in-law who does not drive plus some for us seeing as we were out and the temperature was already 34ºC (93ºF) and with the humidity it feels like 44ºC which is 111ºF…..yikes!.....and tomorrow is a repeat of today!



On Monday I wandered into Michaels but didn’t have a coupon so I really didn’t think I’d be buying anything unless it was something I needed on sale….or wanted on sale is more like it. I saw a bin of fall and Halloween stamps that were $1.50….those I do buy even if they are not on sale….and it turned out these ones were so I only paid $1.12 for each one…….anyway, I picked up pumpkin and maple leaf and then I saw this black cat stamp…..and the cat had a very unhappy expression and I instantly thought, “This would be funny as a birthday card to send to someone who is grumpy on their birthday” so I bought it……and yes, I know I have a warped sense of humour…..I’m told that quite often! Here’s the card of grumpy cat I made.






I decided I wanted a grungy background to go along with the grumpy cat. A stencil was placed on the white cardstock and Distress Inks, Mustard Seed and Broken China, were sponged over it and of course where they met made green. I didn’t do the entire card front, just here and there and some places darker than others. Then the same Distress inks were sponged over top and then Walnut ink was sponged as well. The edges were made rough by pulling it through the distressing tool and then sponged with Black Soot.



I wanted the funny saying, “Just Smile. It’s Your Day” (two different stamp sets) to show up so I stamped them on white cardstock using my homemade Misti again and then tore the bottom right corner of the card so the white would be behind it. The edges of the torn corner were inked again with Black Soot.



The cat was stamped on white cardstock with black ink and then Distress Inks were sponged around it…..same inks as in the background so there is some continuity. It was die cut with a fancy Spellbinder’s circle die and then a piece of the same cardstock as the card base (a blue from Stampin’ Up but I don’t know for sure what it is) was die cut just a shade larger and placed behind it so it peeks through the cut pieces…..it was too blah by itself but I didn’t want a larger border so this worked out okay. The hat was stamped; coloured and cut out and glued on top of the cat. Once I was happy with it, it was glued to the card top and then everything was glued to the card base. I did touch up the cat’s eyes with some white as well.



Don’t forget you are more than welcome to save any cards to your Pinterest account for future reference. Simply place the curser over the picture until the Pinterest sign shows up and enter. This will take you to your Pinterest account.



That’s all for a hot and humid Thursday,



Cheers

Violet




1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Violet i LOVE that stamp! Birthday or no birthday thats a great cat stamp! When i scrolled down and saw it with the birthday hat on i had to laugh! Perfect for someone not happy about ANOTHER birthday...lol Love the background too. Great find and a great card!!

    I'm a sucker for a sale.... most times i won't buy it if its not on sale or i have a coupon. So i totally understand.. Sometimes, now this is weird..but sometimes i just like the atmosphere of a craft store. Especially if its not busy...just walk around thinking of all the possibilities of things i could make...I find it very calming and relaxing........Stay cool! Today is our last HOTHUMID day for a while...We cool off for at least a week with rain or so they say 2-5 inches expected over the week... I'll believe it when i see it but the cooler temps will be appreciated. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...