Monday, September 10, 2012

Grandma's Canning Jars Quilted Wall-hanging

What a busy week and weekend. We drove back and forth to Rondeau for 4 days straight and walked, and walked, and walked. I got some great shots of some birds, funky orange fungus on a log, and some scenery which I will post another day. By the time we got home and had supper and showers I was too tired to post anything.
Today is a much needed day of rest playing in the lower studio. I decided to try using some Sticky Back Canvas that I won and have never used. Not sure if my idea is going to work but we'll see.

Today I'm posting a quilted wall-hanging I finally finished which I named "Grandma's Canning Jars". My parents and my father's parents were all farmers and Mom and Grandma both did a lot of canning in their life. My father had 7 brothers and sisters and so do I, plus my parents took in kids from the Children's Aid and teenagers who could not live at home. Everyone was welcome in our family as long as they followed the rules - work or go to school, help out at the farm when needed and behave in public (to put it simply). You get the drift. Lots of canning needed to be done for sure until Mom got her first big chest freezer that is! Freezing was quicker!

Here's the  wall-hanging. Not a great picture. It hangs on the top of a railing and our staircase is not well lit, for photos that is.



I made one a few years ago but my niece was collecting items for an auction for the Rotary club and I donated it. I meant to make another one for me right away but it kept getting put on the back burner. Most of the fabric with various fruit and vegetables on it came from many places but mostly from Port Huron. The pattern for these was from the Internet. Simple to make really once you get it off the back burner! These are cute made with bugs for a little boy's quilt too.





14 comments:

  1. Just dropped by as I am just going to baste my own canning jar quilt and wonder, how did you quilt it? Machine? Hand? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is machine quilted. Actually everything I do is machine quilted. I used clear thread to quilt inside the jars, around the fruit and then I used black thread for stippling on the outside of the jars. Do you have a blog? If so, feel free to leave your blog address for others to view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is quite lovely, homey.
    Canning is a labor of love, as is quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is quite lovely, homey.
    Canning is a labor of love, as is quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a pattern for this quilt? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind comment. Yes there is a pattern for this and this quilt is quite easy to make too. Just do an Internet search for Canning Jar Quilt Patterns and you will find scads of them. Good luck and have fun....the hardest part is finding all the fruit and veggie fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to buy this pattern. I want a paper pattern. Not an internet download

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just did a google search and found a pattern I liked and printed it off. Sorry, I do not know which one it was now but there are many out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will you make a diy for us please. I would love to make this. So cute

    ReplyDelete
  10. See post on August 9, 2021. It will not allow me to print instructions here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How tall is each jar?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The jar itself is 4" but you can make it any size you want. Just follow the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...