Saturday, January 12, 2013

Warm Wishes Card



According to the weather report this morning, it’s going to be warmer in Southern Ontario this weekend than it will be in Southern California. Now that doesn’t happen too often in January! ...or anytime probably, although our summers can be very hot and humid. It rained here pretty hard so there is no snow left except little bits where it was piled high. Now my roses are subjected to the cold weather that is returning on Monday – drat! I was hoping the snow would stick around to insulate them.

Today’s card is based on a sketch from this blog - http://www.freshlymadesketches.blogspot.ca – and I really liked the sketch so I thought I’d give it ago. Here’s my card.




The card looks like everything is crooked but it was the camera angle, not the card. I guess I didn’t have it straight on and I was too lazy to retake it. I took a piece of white card stock and ran it thru the Cuttlebug using the Swiss Dots embossing folder, and inked the edges with hot pink ink. The image, from Stamping Bella, was coloured with Prismacolor pencils and gamsol, and some stickles added for fun. Most people probably use this image as a Christmas card, and I likely will too, but this one is a birthday card. I love to be able to use my stamps for more then on season if I can. The pompom on the end of her hat is flock. The blue around here is chalk. I cut a rectangle to the size I wanted and then cut the corners with a pair of corner cutting scissors – yes, scissors. I do not have the crop-a-dile or the corner cruncher but my corner cutting scissors from years ago work just fine. I did the same with the pink card stock.

 See that strip with the ribbon thru it. That was made with a Fiskar’s punch that I just picked up at the thrift store this week. First thing I’ve found there since I got all that scrapbooking paper. It came with some other craft items I just threw in a drawer as I don’t have a use for them right now but the punch was brand new, still sealed in the package and the whole package was $3.99. I couldn’t tell what exactly it would look like but for $3.99 I bought it anyway. When I first punched it out of scrap paper I was pretty disappointed – not much of a design and then it dawned on me that it was likely a ribbon punch. Sure enough I punched out some matching pink card stock and ran the ribbon thru it! This could become one of my favorite punches.

The sentiment was stamped on white card stock that was die cut and embossed with a Spellbinder die with the same hot pink ink that I used to colour the edges of the embossed rectangle. It came from a Christmas greeting so I had to cover up the holly so it didn’t stamp. I punched out a pink snowflake and then added some hot pink gems from the dollar store. I think it will do well for a little girl with a winter birthday.


2 comments:

  1. What a sweet card. I love how you threaded the ribbon through the cardstock. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adorable image! Your coloring is lovely! Glad you joined us this week at FMS!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...