Friday, November 6, 2015

A Snowy Christmas Card


Our warm weather is coming to and end! Drat! It was raining this morning and more is expected tonight. I actually got a lot done today seeing as we skipped going for a walk or going to the library for a coffee. Yes, our library has a small café right inside the library which is run by Community Living. They hire those that have some development learning disability to run the café which gives them experience and, more importantly, some positive self esteem. I did help Joe do a bit of housework – I dust the computer desk and the shelves with photos and what- have-you….and I made lunch of course….but other than that I hit the sewing room and finished off two quilts that will be going to ChildCan that gives them to children diagnosed with cancer. Yes, I know……..he spoils me! I offer to help him but he usually declines so I get to go quilt or craft.

I also finally got around to photographing the cards I just made. Here is one of the Christmas cards which pretty much meet the challenge for this blog: http://christmascardchallenges.blogspot.ca/2015/11/christmas-card-challenges-48-color-combo.html


 

 

 The background was painted with water colour paints on water colour paper. Once it was dry I splattered on white paint to create the snowstorm effect. Then the tree was stamped (Inkadinkado stamp) and some paint was added to the bottom for a shadow and to ground the tree. Light blue paint was painted on to create snowdrifts along the bottom of the card. When I cut the water colour paper down to card size there was a strip left over. This strip was painted with some of the same colours as the background and then a Spellbinder’s snowflake was die cut and glued on. A gem is in the centre. Before the card was glued to the card base, some shiny, glittery strings were wrapped around the card and taped to the back. A gem holds them down at the front. They don’t show up very well in the photo but in real life they add some sparkle. I bought a package of this glittery thread at the dollar store and love it. I had a few spools from the fabric store which are very expensive so a whole set for just over a dollar was a great buy. The sentiment was stamped on using some other blue ink.

That’s all for a Friday. Have a wonderful weekend everyone.


Cheers

Violet

 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us at Christmas Cards Challenge this week!
    Monica - CCC DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue and white are my colors for Christmas. Funny i don't decorate in those colors but i do love the combination. Tonight is our first night in the 30's ... brrr... so our first night turning on the heater.. I think making it thru the first week of Nov with no heat is pretty darn good!Looks like the next week will be a mixture of 60's for the highs and 30/40's for the lows... Gosh i need to buy warmer clothes...Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...