Monday, November 21, 2016

Using Negative and Postive Die Cuts


The beautiful fall weather left in a hurry and is apparently not returning! We had some pretty strong winds starting Friday night and they are still blowing hard. Lots of leaves blown off the trees over the weekend and we raked and took the last of ours over to the yard waste depot today. On Sunday a lot of cities not far from us had a snow blizzard as well but once again, it missed us. We bought new snow shovels on Friday but I’m hoping we don’t need to use them very often. Some years we only have to clear the driveway 3 or 4 times a winter; other times, yikes, non-stop shovelling!



Today I’m posting two cards because they were made together using the negative and positive cuts from each one.

 



I bought this Memory Box die on sale at the Paper Pickle, our local scrapbooking store, last week and decided to use it over the weekend. I had no idea that it did not die cut the entire flower. Instead, it just cuts each flower petal. I’m not fond of this kind of die but I remembered my vow - if I buy it, I must use it. Well the first card I made using this die went into the garbage. Once the petals were die cut I tried gluing them onto a card base but the glue kept leaking out onto the card base…in spite of the fact that I only used a small drop of glue. And it turns out; this liquid glue I used does not bead up and come off like some other types do. It just didn’t meet my standards at all so I tossed it.



So, another approach was needed. This time I took two similar coloured pieces of cardstock but one darker than the other and die cut the flowers where I thought they would look nice. Then I flipped over the cardstock and put tape across the back behind the cut flowers with the sticky side in the opening. Then I carefully picked up each petal from the other card and placed it in the opposite one. This was a little time consuming but not as bad as I thought it would be. The stems and leaves are also part of this set. Some double-sided sticky tape was glued to the back of a piece of green cardstock before die cutting the stem so I could just pull off the lining and glue the stem down. I have no idea how else this could be done. It would be impossible to glue down. The leaves were just glued down though.



Once they were both completed I decided they needed some ribbon…..thank goodness for a ribbon stash! The ribbon was glued down with the same double-sided glue tape before gluing it to the card base. The sentiments are peel-offs. The next day I looked at the cards again and decided they still needed something else so the first thing I did was to paint on some Stickles. Yes, I paint on Stickles. Squirt some out on a piece of plastic and use an old paint brush to paint them on. You can get a nice even coat and no blobs…..just make sure you wash out the paint brush immediately (which is why I say use an old one in case you forget to wash it right away). Once the Stickles were dry I added some sequins and called it done!



That’s all for a cold and windy Monday, November 21, 2016



Cheers

Violet



Don’t forget you are more than welcome to save any cards to your Pinterest account for future reference. Simply place the curser over the picture until the Pinterest save sign shows up in the top left corner and enter. This will take you to your Pinterest account. If it doesn’t work, please leave a comment and let me know. Thanks.


1 comment:

jinxxxygirl said...

I hope we do get more than a dusting of snow this winter...thats all we got last year... But we look on track for a very warm winter... We could have some strong thunderstorms today... We need rain badly but could do without the bad storms...

Love both your cards... AND i love that the die was not exactly what you thought it was but you found a way to use it anyway. Hugs! deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...