Saturday, November 16, 2013

Tranquil Moments

A very cloudy Saturday but no rain yet. Of course the snow we had last week is long gone. The Santa Claus parade was last night and the parents were probably glad it was mild and the kids don’t care if there is snow or not. But the grandkids couldn’t come this year so we didn’t bother going.  

There was a comment left from Jinnnxygirl about a project that would be suitable for a man and did I want the link – yes please. Please leave the information in the comment section and I will add it to my next post. Please feel free to link any other wonderful sites that others may enjoy. Although I only have 23 followers according to my stats between 1,200 and 1,400 people check my blog each month. I would have replied directly to the comment but I still haven't figured out how to do this in Blogger, or if it is even possible in Blogger. If you are a Blogger user and know how to do this, please leave the instructions in the comment section. 

Last week I was sorting out the photos from 2011 and came across four black and white photos of my two oldest grandchildren. I decided to make a layout using those four photos but I wanted it to be different than my usual pages. Here’s what I came up with.

 
I took a piece of white heavy cardstock and lightly smeared some brown ink streaks down the edges, and then even lighter black ones. Hard to see in the photo but it is there. Then I took a piece of 12x12 reddish-brown cardstock and cut 1” off each side. Then the edges were distressed and inked heavily with both brown and black ink. And yes I cut the middle of the white background page out to use elsewhere – no using leaving it hidden. Then the photos were mounted on white paper and then attached to the reddish-brown paper. The half circle at the top was cut from a piece of light grey patterned paper, backed with black leaving about and 1/8” edge of black showing. It was then tucked under the pictures – I had left that area unglued for that purpose. The letters are stickers. The doo-dads were die cut from a Spellbinder’s die – Majestic Squares – and just those bits were cut out. Then I added a few small pearls. The journaling is all computer generated and then the edges inked with black and glued in place.

The flowers started out as plain plastic ones from bunches of flowers from the dollar store. I ripped out the middle plastic bit and sprayed them with various inks to get the colours I wanted. For some reason this inking changes the texture of the flowers as well and they look so much nicer. The large red ones were put back together and held together with a red brad. The bud was made with the smallest flower, folded and glued in three or four times and then tucked into a small green bit from another green flower. The other flowers have gems placed in the middle. The leaves were die cut from a Sizzix die and the edges of them were brushed with brown ink. Then a few larger peals were added amongst the flowers.

So I have distressed edges for the boy and flowers for the girl. I like this page so much I hate to put it in an album and I’m thinking of getting a 12”x12” frame and framing it.

I’m off to finish my quilt now. Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.

Cheers

Violet

 

 

2 comments:

thefrugalcrafter said...

the black and white photos really take center stage in this layout, great use of color in the paper/embellishments. stunning!

K1 said...

Beautiful girls. Beautiful layout!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...