Thursday, January 9, 2014

Monsters and Baloons

Once again not much to report. Joe and I live such exciting lives don’t we! I’ve been quilting and he’s been computing (sports and newspapers) during the day. We did talk ourselves into going for a walk yesterday. It was only 35 minutes long but that was enough. We didn’t think there was any wind and there wasn’t until we got away from our corner but at least the sidewalks were ploughed out.

In response to Jinxxxygirl’s comment about winter (and yes I read them all and appreciate the feedback) it got me to thinking about winters as a child. Yes, good memories for sure. I grew up on a farm with lots of hills for sledding and a pond that froze over for skating. Besides all my own brothers and sisters, there was a family with five boys that rented a small house on our farm, plus there were five boys in the farm next door to us, (some days I felt like I had 15 brothers) plus other kids on our road so lots and lots of kids to have fun with. However, now that I’m an adult and have to worry about driving in snow and ice and getting the driveway shovelled out, it sort of takes the fun out of winter…..so I still don’t like it!....but I enjoy the memories just the same.

Today’s card is another one from Stamping Bella’s inspiration photo. I went in a complete opposite direction on this one. I love these little monsters for children’s birthday cards.



 
I went with the balloons overhead but instead of pale colours, I went with deeper values. My friend that runs a daycare keeps reminding me that children love bright colours. I have a stamp of a bunch of balloons so I stamped it a couple of times on post-it notes and cut them out to use as a mask. Then I stamped three across the top, covered them up with the post-it note masks and stamped again so they look like they are behind. I also have a single balloon stamp so I used it to fill in empty spots. The edges were inked with blue ink and then I glued it to a striped card I made.

The little monsters were stamped on white cardstock, coloured with Prismacolor pencils and blended with gamsol and then cut out leaving about a 1/16” white margin. They were then glued to a piece of bright yellow cardstock. The green paper was run thru the Cuttlebug Happy Birthday embossing folder and then I ran some darker ink over the top to bring out the embossed words.  Once I glued the image to the green I realized that “Birthday” was right where it should be so I ran another piece of green cardstock through the same embossing folder but just embossed the word “happy”. Then I cut it out and glued it to another piece of yellow and attached it above the word birthday. I think it works.

Here’s the inside of the card.

 
I had stamped and coloured the monsters and cut them out right on the lines but didn’t like it but didn’t want to waste them so I added them to inside of the card.

The “Don’t Bug Me’ quilt is coming along but lots and lots of bug legs to stitch over so it is taking a lot longer than I thought it would. However, it will be a nice quilt for a boy or a girl (if she loves insects) once it’s done.

Cheers

Violet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...