Thursday, September 18, 2014

Vellum Card Number Three



I’ve been trying to reduce my various stashes – especially the fabric one because they take up so much room. The scrap quilts have been replacing the stashes! I love making scrappy quilts. So, yesterday I pulled out a bag full of fabric and opened it up and lo and behold it was a half made project – but not one of mine. Last year one of our beloved quilt members who own a quilt shop died and her family had a huge sale to wind down her business. They were getting rid of everything they could and I was very good and did not buy a lot of fabric but there was one of those five-drawer plastic stands and it had some odds and ends of fabric in it and she said she wanted $5.00 for it – SOLD! I had one of these from Michaels and I really wanted another one for my paper stash and $5.00 was a bargain. It was missing a couple of the drawers so she threw in the fabric. Well someone had started a lovely quilt but didn’t finish it and there was not enough to finish one row by one block. I had removed it and threw it in with my own stash of half-made projects and forgot about until yesterday.

I was missing a tiny bit of fabric to make one small block to complete a row. So, I took one of the blocks with me to the quilt guild meeting to see if anyone had a piece of this fabric in their stash. Turns out one did and I went to pick it up today and what do you know – she had some of the same quilt but only a few pieces. Somehow it got separated but quilters hate to throw out fabric so we both kept the bits we had. Didn’t matter! I was able to finish the one row on the bit I had and to add a row using her leftovers and mine. I’ll have to add some borders to make it big enough for a lap quilt but I’m sure I can find enough in my stash for that. So, that’s what I was working on this afternoon – trying to figure out the pattern so everything fit….much easier when you have a pattern!

Now for the card of the day. This is card number three using vellum. To recap in case you missed the last two posting, (scroll down if you did) for the first card I had to come up with a clever way to secure vellum on top of the card base without glue – done! On yesterday’s card I discovered that the cheap glue runner from our local dollar store is invisible under vellum. So, today’s card features the entire vellum top glued to the card base with that cheap glue runner. Proof positive it works.



Same procedure as the other two cards – stamped the Inkadinkado stamps with Versamark and then embossed them with white embossing powder. Then various Distress inks were sponged over the top and water droplets were thrown on top to create a mottled look. Then I took the plunge and ran the glue runner along all four sides of a piece of vellum and placed it over top…..no glue showing -  whew!  I stamped the sentiment with Archival ink.

I’m loving these cards covered with vellum! I think these are great for either birthday, thinking of you, sympathy and get well cards.

That’s all for a Thursday,

Cheers
Violet

1 comment:

aquafit said...

really like your vellum cards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...