Monday, February 16, 2015

Window Frame Die



The deep freeze continues with more record breaking lows last night. I haven’t been out of the house in days and have no interest in doing so. I had to make myself open the front door to check to see if there was mail today and I’m glad I took that challenge because the dies I won from Die-Namites came in – yahoo! It’s too cold in the lower studio for me to be down there today but maybe tomorrow! Can’t wait to try them out.

Also, I was shocked to read that I was one of the top 4 cards (they call it a Top 3 winner but that is after the weekly winner so I’m saying I’m in the top 4??) The white on white card with the Stampin’ Up embossing folder and gold Dasher stamped in the corner (posted last week) is the one I entered and won. I don’t think you win anything but it’s still nice to be recognized.
 

 
Today’s card is one I made last week with one of the new Poppystamp dies I picked up at the Paper Pickle.
I’m entering it into the same weekly challenge: http://christmascardchallenges.blogspot.com and the challenge this week is to make a card with children or toys.
 


This is the window frame die – the Grand size, not the small one. I wasn’t sure I wanted it until my friend, Jane, told me how much she liked hers so I took her word for it and bought it. She was right. I love it. I think I’ve made about 6 cards with it already. This was the first one I made. The part behind the window frame is an old Christmas card. I happened to pick it up out of a pile I had and thought it would work behind the window frame, and it did. I sometimes use these old cards to practice stamping or die cutting but now they could get some other uses.

I used the plastic sleeve the dies came in to put behind the window frame. You can’t tell by the photo but in real life, when you hold it, the plastic picks up the light so it looks like glass. Cool effect. The background embossing was done right on the card front with a Cuttlebug folder. The bit of paper is from the stash and it just happens to pick up the colour of the kids coats and scarves in the picture. The label is one half of a Spellbinder’s die and I stamped the sentiment (Hero Arts) with Aged Mahogony Distress Ink. The gems came from a package from the dollar store..it was a package with large loops on a string of gems. I like to buy them there and just use bits and pieces rather than the entire thing. The ribbon is from the stash of ribbons from a now closed shoe factory outlet.

My son-in-law’s quilt just needs the binding on and it’s done! So back to work it is for me! I’m so glad I can sit upstairs and quilt when the basement is too cold to work in.

I also entered this card into these two challenges:
http://christmasstampin.blogspot.ca/2015/02/christmas-stampin-all-year-long.html and
http://tistheseasonstamping.blogspot.ca/2015/02/tts35-campy-christmas.html

That’s all from the frozen north on a Monday,

 Cheers
Violet

8 comments:

  1. Your card is so sweet! I love the view out the window of the winter scene! How clever! The embossing is a plus, too, and the little tag with your sentiment is just perfect. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that window frame die Violet. I must keep my eye out for it. I went to JoAnn's today for their President's Day sale. I didn't buy anything spectacular..Why am i buying when i'm suppose to be packing..lol.. but i did find a little fairy stamp called 'Moonlit Fairy' by i think Rubber Stampede?? Anyway I'll pack it away and look forward to playing with it in Arkansas... It is a balmy 70 + degrees here.. everything is growing and green.. the almond orchards are blooming... Now if it would just rain some more...

    Congratulations on your win. You sure do deserve it with your lovely cards Violet. Hugs~ deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Violet, your card is so pretty! Love that you used an old Christmas card for the scene outside of your window...great idea! And congrats on your win on last week's card. It's always nice to have your work recognized. :) Thanks for joining us at 'Tis the Season.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely card you created, thanks for sharing with us at 'Tis The Season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lively card, nice idea to use the front of a card behind the window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty card! I like the scene beyond the window! Thanks for joining us at Christmas Card Challenges this week and congratulations on your win last week! We hope you'll display your Top 3 badge proudly! :) -Jessica CCC DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I love the scene through the window. Thanks for playing at CCC this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super fun card!!! Thanks for playing at CCC!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...