Tuesday, May 26, 2015

An Experiment that Worked



Well we decided this morning that we needed an easy day so no yard work for us today. They were calling for a hot and humid day with temperatures near 80 so it would have been unpleasant working in the garden anyway. Instead we popped over to Port Huron, MI to get our vegetarian food that we cannot buy here – Morningstar Farms and Quorn please come to Canada!!! I did a quick tour through Hobby Lobby but didn’t buy much. I’ve wanted the new Tim Holtz bird stamp set since it first came out but cannot find it anywhere. Hobby Lobby must be getting out of the polymer stamps and only carrying wood mounted stamps because the polymer stamps were reduced to a spot about 18” square. I tend to avoid wood stamps because they take up so much room. So the only thing I bought was a package of velum that was on sale – 25 sheets for $3.50. I’ve not worked with velum very much but the card I posted yesterday has inspired me to play with it some more. The only other thing I picked up was a new water pen and I used my 40% off coupon for that. We did stop at Jo-Ann’s Fabric and I was able to get some quilt batting on sale and a couple of very small dies that were reduced. And that was pretty much it for shopping. Because we got everything done in such a timely manner we had time to stop in and visit one our Michigan friends, Sharon, for awhile. Nice day!....and we just beat a rain storm by about 30 minutes.

Today’s card is another experiment. Not all of them worked out and some went straight to the garbage but I liked this one.


Some of my friends give me their old greeting cards. Some I can use some I don’t and the ones I cannot use for anything get recycled so it all works out. I use a lot of them as shims for the Big Shot or for die cutting along with the cardstock and then I don’t have to emboss the cardstock to get those lines around the edges. Did you all know this? Try it - you place your good cardstock on top of an old greeting card and run it through you die cutting machine and no separate embossing. Just throw the greeting card bits in the recycle bin.

So, back to the post, when I saw this greeting card I thought it was so nice I just wanted to give it another life. So I cut it down in size first then cut it into ¾” strips. The edge of each strip was inked with dark brown ink. Then I placed it on a piece of chocolate brown light cardstock and glued it each piece down leaving a gap in between. Then I sewed a couple of irregular wavy lines around the perimeter. I wanted the organic looks so I found some hemp cord in my stash and wrapped it around the card as well and tied a bow. The book mark was one in a set that I won but they were all pastel colours which just didn’t look right so I inked them with various alcohol inks to change them. The inside of the bookmark is a piece of the card that was left over and I just added the peel-off sentiment and glued it to the back. The book mark was attached with dimensional adhesives. Then the entire thing was glued to the kraft card base.  I may have to have a closer look at some other greeting cards to do this to.

That’s all for a hot, humid and now rainy Tuesday,

Cheers
Violet

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...