Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lest We Forget

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day here in Canada.(In the U.S.A. it's known as Veterans Day. It’s our day to take time to remember those brave men and women who fought in WW1, WW2 and other and current wars to keep us safe. For my readers who are not Canadian, let me explain about the poppy. The poppy is the symbol for our veterans and we wear it on our jackets and sweaters from Nov 1 to Nov 11 – left side closest to the heart as possible. It was adopted from the poem “In Flanders Fields” by Major John McCrae. You can read the poem here if you wish:  www.flandersfieldsmusic.com/thepoem.html

I have not had any lessons for painting flowers but I really wanted to have a plaque on the front of our house by the door to honour our veterans and it just had to include the poppy. Here it is:



                          "Lest We Forget" is also the phrase associated with Remebrance Day.

This plaque is in memory and honour of my Uncle Frank Harvey Willett who, at age 23, died in action in Italy right near the end of WW2. He almost made it back home. He was my mother’s favorite brother. He died before I was born but for some reason I’ve always had a very close connection with him. I sent away for his military records a few years ago and found out where he is buried in Italy and now, of course, I would love to go there and sprinkle a little Canadian soil (sterilized of course) over his grave. Unfortunately because of my brain disorders I am not allowed to fly and getting to Italy by train, ship and road would be quite an undertaking, not to mention expensive. I just bought a lottery ticket for the first time since last winter and if I win, guess where I’ll be going!

May all the brave souls who gave their lives to keep us free rest in peace knowing they are not forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...