Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sunflowers brighten up the day

Hurricane Sandy has lived up to it's reputation and has caused a lot of damage and taken a few lives. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families suffering.

The wind here is so strong, trees and limbs are littering the yards, power is out in some places and lots of flooding. It's been raining steadily here for about 3 or 4 days. Sometimes nature is just plain cruel.

On a brighter note, I did get an art journal page done for this week's challenge over at Stampin' Bella.

The challenge was to use a typewriter type font on the page. Well, I don't have a typewriter and I didn't have any stamps that look like typewriter fonts so I searched thru the fonts I have on Word and found this one that was actually typewriter keys. Worked for me!

I had no idea what to do when I started out. I had made this background page and it was dark. Must have made it on one of my bad days and I should know better. This page has so many layers and no mater what I did, it was dark. I threw it to one side and gave up...temporarily. While I was flipping thru an old copy of a Birds and Bloom magazine I came across this full page picture of an American Goldfinch on the sunflowers and I thought to myself "Sunflowers really brighten up the day"...eureka! that's what I'll do! I tore out the page and then spent a long, long time fussy cutting around each piece, including between the leaves, etc. so the dark background would show thru and once cut out, I used Modge Podge to glue it down. I had already printed out the message on white paper but when I looked at it, it was boring. I should have printed it out on yellow paper, which I didn't have, so I just took out some yellow acrylic paint and painted around them before I cut them out.  Then I just used a black pen to outline some of the elements and the words.

Next week's challenge is to use stickers! I do have a few of those!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...