Thursday, November 29, 2012

Warm Wishes Card

Nothing too exciting to talk about today. Yesterday I got yet another quilt quilted for the Alzheimer's ward but I have to do the binding yet. Today we decided to go to Port Huron in Michigan to get the veggie food we like. They have products there that we cannot buy here so we have to go over every few months to restock. Of course, we had Chinese food at Chan's (the best) and walked it off at the mall (but didn't buy a thing) and I hit Hobby Lobby but, again, didn't buy much. They didn't have any of the dies I was sort of thinking of getting and the stamps weren't on sale, not that I need any more, but you know how it is. It was a nice day to go with the weather so warm for this time of the year.

Most evenings I head down to the lower studio and make a few cards or scrapbook or paint or work on a mixed media piece, etc. I got a few new .99 Hot Off the Press stamps from Paper Wishes so I decided to try some out. Here's the card I made using the mitten stamp.
I stamped the mittens on water colour paper and coloured them with Tombow markers. I scribble the markers on an acrylic sheet and use a wet paint brush to colour them in. I like the water colour affect it gives. The cuffs were puffed up with Liquid Applique.

Here's how this card was put together - I kid you not, here's what happened. The blue piece of paper was left over, and still on my table, from a scrapbook page I had worked on the other night. I had die cut the hole with the Spellbinder Peony die and just used the cut out piece and dropped the blue piece on the table. I picked it up and put it over the mittens but it was a bit too large for the paper I had stamped the mittens on and a bit too short. But, I also had some red paper sitting on the table....I don't always put the leftovers away right away! As I was moving stuff around I came across the red large scallop strip. OK, that works nicely together with the red hearts on the gloves so I die cut a smaller Peony shape from the large piece of red paper and glued it to the blue one and then glued it to the stamped image. A friend of mine gave me some of her left over craft supplies she didn't want anymore, including some baker's twine so I wrapped it around twice before gluing it to the card base. Then I glued the red scallop edge along the bottom. It looked bare so I punched out some snowflakes and added them and then added a clear gem in the centre of each one. The snowflake on the mittens was lightly covered in clear Stickles so it's very shiny. The sentiment is from another .99 Hot off the Press stamp from Paper Wishes.

 Yup, sometimes it pays to be frugal and keep the left overs and sometimes it pays to be too lazy to put them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...