Monday, January 28, 2013

Birthday Wishes on a Stormy Day

What a fun weekend. We had the gift-giving part of Christmas over the weekend. A little late, I know, but it was the only weekend we could all get together. It was a blast. We all have wicked senses of humour, love to tease and tell stories on each other and pretty much just laughed thru the whole weekend. I put a stop to the kids tearing into presents willy-nilly when they were little. I couldn't keep up with who gave them the gifts and it was just too chaotic. Now, we open gifts one at a time! We start with the youngest boys opening their stockings, then the ladies and then the men. That way we can all see what everyone gets in their stockings. We draw names for gifts and stockings which keeps the expense down but everyone gets something. Yes, it takes two or three hours to open gifts but it's fun and it works for us. And of course there was the excellent food my sons-in-law make and the UNO games after supper.

Joe and I took the train which we enjoy but traveling by train sure has changed. The train was pretty much full when we got on and of course, the people travelling alone all get seats by themselves so those of us traveling as a couple, can't sit together. We didn't bother bringing our laptop with us and I do believe we were the only ones in the car without one. In fact that guy Joe was sitting beside had 3 different computer type gadgets going at once. Most of the passengers were college kids going back to school after a weekend at home. Joe called it the "geek car". Before VIA rail at free WiFi we would actually talk to the people we sat beside. Not anymore. Headphones in place, eyes to their screen and not so much as a hello. Sad to say but I think the younger generation is losing the ability to communicate. Boring ride home.

We got off the train at 10:30 to a snow storm raging. Streets were slippery as can be but luckily we are only about 7 or 8 minutes from the train station. Rain and maybe freezing rain today. This is the part of winter I hate!


So, on that cheery note I'll post the card I made. This was an experiment. It worked OK but I may make some changes if I make another one like it. Background paper is from the stash, which does not seem to be going down! The silver strip where the two papers join is from a peel-and-stick sheet. I die cut the circles from Spellbinders dies - large blue circle from the Spellbinder's Peony die set, and the white circle from the plain circle die. Then I inked up a leafy-flower stamp with light blue and stamped on scratch paper first and then on the circle. Then I stamped one flower in dark blue which really matched the paper perfectly. I stamped a similar but slightly larger flower on light blue cardstock and cut them out and inked the edges with the dark blue. I added the blue ribbon, then the circles and then glued on the cut out flowers using dimensional glue dots. A pearl was added to all the flowers, a large one to the dark blue, smaller ones to the light blue. The sentiment was stamped in dark blue and I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to position it.

If it's just rain and not freezing rain this afternoon I'm off to the church to work on some quilts for kids with caner. Sad to report that we need to send down more.

By the way, my great-niece is still in hospital, still in serious condition so please say a prayer for Brenna!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...