Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Intricate Dies Part Two

Before I post the cards I want to answer a question that was asked in the comment section of the last post about cards curling. Well, to be honest the only time that has happened to me is when I first started card making and I made my own card bases with flimsy cardstock. I bought a package of cardstock at Staples but I quickly realized that it was not stiff enough. I ended up using to print my journaling on for scrapbook pages. Normally I use the packages of cards and envelopes from Hobby Lobby or Michael's when they are on sale or with a coupon. Last time I was at Hobby Lobby (months ago) I picked up some square cards and envelopes made by the Paper Studio and they are not as stiff as I would like but they are okay. So, if you are making your own card bases, make sure you use good quality cardstock and you should be okay. Hope this helps.

Well, I still had two of the flower vines cut out and sitting on my desk when I was in the card making frenzy but I was a little tired of using them but didn't want to waste them. So, I decided to do something totally different. Here is the first card I made.

 
I used the 4"x 5-1/2" card base that I normally use and covered it with a piece of light gray patterned paper (from the thrift store package) and inked the edges with dark gray ink. Then I put dots of glue from a glue pen on the back of the gray die cut flower vine and glued it down on an angle. This worked so much better. I decided that I liked it just he way it was and did not add any other colours to it. Then I die cut some butterflies in a dark gray using a Stampin' Up die and added them and then stamped the sentiment. I liked it so much I made another card very much like it but in different colours.
 
 
 
This is another piece of paper from the package of mixed papers I bought at the thrift store. The light line down the left is part of the paper, not a camera error. It turned out I had three, not two, flower vines cut out, one in cream and one from my hand-painted papers. I glued the cream one down first and then the coloured one on top of it to give it some dimension. I didn't worry about the odd bit of cream showing because it looked like a shadow. Then I die cut some more butterflies from some other hand-painted paper and glued them on. A stamped sentiment was not going to show up so I used a peel-and-stick one. I'm about out of these and wish I could find another source for them.
 
Until next time - happy crafting!

1 comment:

jinxxxygirl said...

Thank you so much Violet for answering my question. :) I think you must be right....I bought this pack of card blanks for 50cents and they really are light weight. Some stayed relatively flat and a few curled a little....oh well live and learn....I love all the cards in your part one and part two! But if you twisted my arm i'd tell you i like the ones with the lattice the best! Hugs! deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...