Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Gone Fishing

Happy New Year! It’s officially 2014 and it’s been snowing non-stop since before I was up this morning – and I was up at 6:00 a.m. Not my normal time to get up but I was wide awake so I got up and read until Joe got up. He had to clear the driveway twice today, once just before noon and again before supper, so he got his exercise. I was thinking that a nap might be in order after lunch as my early morning was catching up with me but I willed myself to go for a walk instead. Yes, a very snowy, cold, windy walk but actually quite enjoyable. Not too many people out and about but a few other brave souls were out walking too – most of them with dogs. It was only a 40 minute walk but that was enough today.

This is the last pillow I made. It was for the son-in-law with two sons who love the outdoors and sports.

 
I had run out of the small four patches so I actually made some half-square triangles that the pattern actually called for. Once again, this was fused appliquéd and then stitched around each and every piece. The pattern only called for the father and son fishing but I just couldn’t leave one boy out so I drew a smaller one who is leaning over the boat with his hand in the water…typical younger boy! As soon as Joey opened it he said "Ah, me and my boys fishing".

All the sons-in-law and my oldest grandson who received the pillows seemed to really like them – whew! The dark brown border has stitches about ¼” apart all the way around and this creates a flat flange. The puffy pillow is only the middle part. I got that tip from a fellow-quilter. All the pillows were done this way.

So that’s the end of the hand-crafted gifts. Tomorrow I’ll post a card I made this afternoon.

Cheers

Violet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...