Friday, July 18, 2014

New Alcohol Markers



It’s Friday so that means it’s a Stamping Bella challenge card! Not much to report today so I’ll get right to the card.

This week’s challenge was to make a card from the provided sketch – and using one of her stamps of course. This stamp from her “Senioritis” line is one of my favourites.  This time I coloured it with alcohol pens. I think I was the only stamp maker around who did not have Copics or some other brand of alcohol pens. While I was waiting out a thunderstorm at a Michael’s store in Sarnia a couple of weeks ago, I picked up some Chromatix alcohol pens on the clearance rack. The original price was a package of three for $18.99 I think and they had them on for $5.99 less 50%. Wow, $1.00 each. I bought one package of each colour combination they had and when I got home, I realized there were no red ones. So, the next day I went to our local Michael’s to see if they were having a clearance too, and they were, and sure enough they had one package of red ones left. They also had one package of blue ones and I like blue a lot so I bought it too and tucked it away. They also had just a few Prismacolor alcohol markers on sale too so I picked them up too. According the Frugal Crafter (www.thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.com) they all work nicely together.

So, I decided to give them a try on this card and at first I was not impressed. The ink really absorbed into the paper and I was not getting a chance to blend it like I thought I would be able to and then I had a “DUH” moment (most people get the lightbulb moment, I get DUH moments)…I had stamped this on the Georgia Pacific cardstock that I use when I use my Prismacolor pencils and alcohol markers need to be on smoother paper. Oh well, live and learn. I have some paper from Stamping Bella that is for Copics so I’ll have to make sure I stamp the next images I want to colour on it. Luckily I didn’t start out with the face so I coloured it with my Prismacolor pencils.

The ovals are from Spellbinder’s dies. The flower was made from die cutting a QuicKutz die four times on four different colour cardstocks and put together with a pink brad. I hand cut the banner and the sentiment is a gold sticker. The reddish paper is from a very old 8 ½” by 10 paper pack and the purple is from the stash.

Well that turned out to be a longer story than I expected! I think I'll link this over to "Seize the Birthday" blog as well. Check them out for inspiration too. Have a great weekend everyone!
Cheers
Violet

2 comments:

  1. Love your long stories Violet :)
    Alcohol markers...thats all i need is another toy to play with..LOL! I just discovered Derwent Inktense Pencils...oh my...Having a blast!
    Love this card. I really like this stamp too. And my favorite color is purple! hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great image, I love your card! Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...