Monday, February 23, 2015

A Butterfly Card on a Cold Day



I know I sound like a broken record but it what it is and what it is, is freezing cold! We keep breaking previous cold records each night it seems and tonight will be no exception. It snowed all day Saturday and on and off yesterday too and we have quite enough already! The only good thing about the snow is that it has completely covered the roses and perennials and hopefully we won’t lose too many from the freezing temperatures. Other than opening the door to get the mail out of the mail box, I haven’t left the house in days! The cold weather triggers off my brain disorders and my speech is terrible. I don’t go out in public when it’s like that – except to quilt guild meetings because my friends are used to me.

My lower studio is like sitting in a freezer as well so I’ve been in the upper studio quilting instead of making cards or scrapbooking. I wanted to start quilting the quilt I’m donating to the Friends of Rondeau for their annual raffle but neither Joe nor I liked the fabric that I was going to use on the back so it is delayed until I can get to the fabric store. Instead, I started a new quilt top. I had some fabric with butterflies and bugs on that I’ve already made two quilts out of but had some left over so I cut 24, 6 ½” squares featuring the butterflies. Then I raided the stash for bright colours and made 6 ½” blocks with 3 stripes of different fabric in each block to go between the butterfly blocks. It went together pretty quickly. Joe asked me who this one was for and I shrugged. I don’t have any little granddaughters but I wanted to use the fabric up so I’ll decide what to do with it later. I’m hoping one of my daughters will adopt a little girl but they don’t seem to be doing so – yet! They talk about it, but so far, no action…..and this quilt would be perfect for a little girl.

Today I’m posting another water coloured background card on a pre-embossed cardstock.


This time instead of just painting the middle of the card, I spread the paint to the edges. I also used some Distress ink in places to add more colour. The butterfly stamp was stamped with VersaMark and then black embossing powder was sprinkled on top, the excess tapped off, and then heat embossed. The sentiment was just stamped with Archival ink. You can see what a difference the embossing makes – so much brighter. The stamp is wood mounted and the rubber is not trimmed closely so once in awhile one corner will get inked and leaves a mark. Rather than pitching it I just used a Sharpie and added a couple of lines and it makes the butterfly look like its moving. I think it turned out to be a cool way to cover up an oops! I took some left over paint and splattered it on as well. I like that look. Once it was dry, I just glued it to a white card base.

That’s all from a frozen Monday, February-23-15



Cheers
Violet



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...