Saturday, August 6, 2016

A String Quilt


Today was a beautiful summer day with most of the humidity gone! It was so nice at Rondeau Provincial Park we got there just before noon and didn’t leave until after 6:00. The day included a BBQ with my sister and then an almost 30km bike ride followed by a veggie burger for supper. We are enjoying this great weather because the humidity is returning early in the week with the temperatures feeling like it’s over 100ºF again.



I mentioned yesterday that I was going to post a quilt this weekend so here it is. This is a string quilt. I made it for my 10 year old great-great nephew who moved to Norway. I wanted him to have something 'Made in Canada' to take with him.




These are called string quilts because it is narrow pieces of fabric that are sewn together. Most of my strings are between 1 1/4" - 2" wide. First you cut out a piece of light weight cotton about 7” square. Lay two ‘strings’ diagonally, right sides touching each other, along the middle of the 7” square. Press the one on top that is sewn to one side. Repeat to the corner, then complete the other side the same way…. until the entire 7” square is covered with strips of fabric….and some will be way longer than needed. Trim to 6 ½” and then sew the blocks together in any pattern you like. I like to make a larger block out of 4 of the smaller blocks and then sew them together. I love making these string quilts and These are what I call ‘stash buster’ quilts. Aiden loved it so that’s what matters!



That’s all for a beautiful Saturday in August,



Cheers

Violet


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...