Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Hockey Quilt


A surprise Thursday posting. I thought I’d sneak in a posting of a quilt I made for my grandson. This was his Christmas present but I forgot to post it. He is 12 and loves all sports, especially hockey, and especially the Toronto Maple Leafs. They just bought him a queen size bed so this quilt fits his bed – and I seldom do queen size quilts…..but I will for grandchildren!

 


I did have a pattern for this and actually followed it! I pretty much had to seeing how complicated it was. It is made up of about 120 6 ½” squares…plus the hockey player that is constructed with small pieces of fabric and then fused appliquéd on top….he was not fun to make. I told Joe that I was beginning to be an expert on ‘unsewing’ on this quilt – aka ripping out errors! The back of the quilt is white with blue maple leafs in various sizes….my sister found it at Fabricland while I was getting the rest of the blue fabric and it was perfect for the backing. I’m bringing her next time I need someone to scout out fabric. Anyway, Jack absolutely loves his quilt so it was worth it to make it for him. My friend recently bought a long arm quilting machine and she let me quilt it on it……my first time using a long arm and she was quite impressed with the results….I was relieved it was done!



That’s all for a mild Thursday 2017-03-16. The bitter cold weather left us for today but tomorrow it will be a bit colder with mixed precipitation – snow; freezing rain; rain. I’ll be so happy to have spring arrive and stay!


Cheers

Violet

Don’t forget you are more than welcome to save any cards or other items I post to your Pinterest account for future reference. Simply place the curser over the picture until the Pinterest save sign shows up in the top left corner and enter. This will take you to your Pinterest account. If it doesn’t work, please leave a comment and let me know so I fix it. Thanks.


1 comment:

  1. Amazing quilt Violet! I'm sure your grandson loved it! Not a hockey fan here but i LOVE the colors. Its a warm day today.. 65 F 50/50 shot of storms this afternoon... I'll be painting in the craftroom today... cutting in the edges with the paintbrush near the ceiling and painting some trim... and caulking.. and... you get the picture..lol

    Just LOVED seeing your quilt Violet! You are one talented lady!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...