Friday, November 17, 2017

The Christmas Hat and a Christmas Card


We’ve had a couple of cold windy days here in Ontario with more to come with the weekend including a lot of rain. The only good news is I’ve had time to get some much needed quilting done and finished some cards and scrapbook layouts. My girls all requested quilted placemats, table runners and bowl pot holders for the microwave (for heating up soup, buns, etc) for Christmas this year. These bowl-shaped pot holders are wonderful. You sit the bowl in the pot holder and heat and then you can pick up the bowl with the pot holder with no concern about the pot holder slipping. It turns out all these things take as much time to make and quilt as a full size quilt!

One of my faithful readers of this blog, Jinnnxygirl, wanted to see the hat I made for our Christmas Quilt Guild meeting. I had Joe take a picture of me wearing it but it didn’t do it justice…..which I’m using in the most liberal way ever! Here is a close up of the hat.


And an even closer look. Yes it has lights! 


  I wasn't the only crazy person wearing a crazy hat...no wait, I  meant to say, I wasn't the only person wearing a crazy hat...or maybe the first one was right!!! Anyway, one lady had a hat like this but she put a small 12" Christmas tree on hers...but no lights! 
------

And now for the card!  I believe you can enter more than one card at the ScrapyLand challenge so that's what I'm going to do: http://www.scrapyland-blog.com/

I found these birds on the Internet doing a free digital stamp search and just loved them. Here’s the first of many cards I made and the others will be posted in the future.

The bird was coloured with pencils; blended with gamsol…as per usual. A sparkly gel pen was used over the snowflakes to give them some shimmer. Spellbinder dies were used to die cut the squares and Stampin’ Up dies were used for the stitched oval dies. The white background was run through a Cuttlebug snowflake embossing folder. The sentiment was heat embossed in white and then blue ink was sponged over top. The embossing resists the ink. I think this card is going to go to one of my great-nieces. She has an identical twin plus a brother who made up the rest of the triplets plus one older brother…busy household for sure. I have another similar bird for her sister but not sure what I’ll make for the two boys yet.

Cheers
Violet


Don’t forget you are more than welcome to save any cards or other items I post to your Pinterest account for future reference. Simply place the curser over the picture until the Pinterest save sign shows up in the top left corner and enter. This will take you to your Pinterest account. If it doesn’t work, please leave a comment and let me know so I fix it. Thanks.




2 comments:

  1. Ha! I'm so glad you had me come over and see your hat Violet!!! I'll bet it looked fantastic on you!!! And lights!!! That was the perfect touch!Did they light up??? I'm so glad you showed your 'crazy' hat!!

    Your new card is a cutie! i think i have that embossing folder... Reminds me i need to start filling out my Christmas cards... :) I know i say it every year but one year life will slow down enough that i will make my own Christmas cards.... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas hat looks amazing and it even has lights! Incredible! Love your sweet bird on your card! Thanks for sharing with us at Scrapy Land Challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...