Monday, November 13, 2017

The Northern Lights Cards


The cold wet weather continues here in Ontario and some areas not far from us got snow…so far we have escaped it. Today Joe cut the grass for the last time…it didn’t really need cutting but there were a lot of small leaves on it and our mulcher does a great job of mincing them…great compost for the lawn.



Today I’m posting three Christmas cards because they were all made the same way but each one is a little different. They are posted at the end.



 The background started out as a piece of white cardstock.  On two of the cards I placed a die cut circle mask on the white cardstock before doing any inking. Once it was removed, I had a nice white moon. To make the Northern Lights sky,  I simply sponged Distress Inks up from the bottom to the top. I’ve seen the Northern Lights many a time when I lived on Manitoulin Island in Northern Ontario – unbelievably beautiful….and each night they were different. Once I liked the sky, various tree stamps were stamped over and over across the bottom. For one of them I used a branch stamp with a bird right in the middle of the moon. To get a perfect fit I stamped it first on a piece of scrap paper and laid it on the white cardstock to see where the bird would be and then added the moon mask there….whew! it worked! 



All the sentiments were computer generated on a piece of vellum which I tore to get the nice crooked look. A variety of brads were used to keep the vellum in place.
Once I liked the final version, and before adding the vellum, watered down white acrylic paint was splattered over the card for snow.



That’s all for another cool, damp Monday, November 13, 2017.

Cheers

Violet



Don’t forget you are more than welcome to save any cards or other items I post to your Pinterest account for future reference. Simply place the curser over the picture until the Pinterest save sign shows up in the top left corner and enter. This will take you to your Pinterest account. If it doesn’t work, please leave a comment and let me know so I fix it. Thanks.




1 comment:

  1. Those are some pretty cards Violet! I especially like the moon effect.. really adds something to it... I've never seen the Northern Lights although i'd love to.. I have a vague memory of when i was a child that the Northern Lights came down low into the US and we had the opportunity to see them but i really don't remember if i did.. My grandma had a necklace made out of crystal that was called Northern Lights...I have a niece whose name is Lindsay Aurora after the lights...lol Stay warm! We are cool and misty rain today and tomorrow...Big hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...