Sunday, September 24, 2023

Nautical Card Number 4

 We had a beautiful week, weather wise! Cool enough in the morning everyone, except the teenagers, wore sweaters or hoodies, but in the afternoon, it was nice enough for shorts and T’s. Unfortunately, the wind picked up yesterday and today and it was cold enough that brought out the sweaters and hoodies again. However, we had a quiet week as Joe had cataract surgery on Wednesday. He is recovering nicely but there are limitations of what he is allowed to do so we are just chilling at home. And then on Thursday I went to the quilt guild meeting, met my friend there who was not feeling great and admitted she should have stayed home as she had picked up a bad cold......Wrong....she called the next morning to tell me she had Covid. Groan! So, I'm self quarantining myself for a few days so I don't pass it on if I have it. 

Today I’m posting card number 4 in the nautical series. To see the first three and the 12x12 sheet that inspired these cards, please scroll down to the other posts.

 


All the pre-printed large images from the 12x12 sheet were used on the first three cards. Now I had to get a little more creative. For this card I chose a section that looked interesting and cut it down to 4 x 5.25.Once the edges were inked it was mounted on a brown card base.

I had recently bought a fishing die set from  Cathy’s Creative Paper Crafters on Facebook. She sells unbranded dies that are very, very reasonable and the shipping costs is what the post office charges her. You have to join her group and she posts a series of dies each Sunday. I’m not sure if she ships outside of Canada or not, but if you are in Canada, by all means check it out. I’ve managed to get some nice dies from her.

Anyway, back to the card. I need to make a lot of masculine cards for my family so when she posted this die set, I snatched it up quick. Even the worms are part of the die set.  The edges were inked with brown ink on the pail and the fishing rod handle and reel - which were paper pieced. The can was a bit of a challenge because I wanted it to look like an old, dented tin can. So, first I die cut it from silver cardstock and tried to run Distress Ink over it - which wiped right off of course. DUH! So I splashed on some black paint, wiped some of it off and really didn’t like it as most of it came off too. Put on more black paint, rubbed only some off and left the rest to dry. The next day I wiped the can and….. success! Some of the black paint stayed on and the can looked old and beaten up. I die cut several worms and added them behind the can.

The images needed something to sit on so they didn’t look like they were floating, so I stamped wood grain onto a piece of brown cardstock and cut it to fit near the bottom so it would look like a shelf. The die cut pieces were then glued on and then a black peel-off sentiment was added in the top right corner.

That’s all for a cool and windy Sunday, September 24, 2023.

Cheers

Violet

Ps: To save a card to your Pinterest account, simply over over the image until the “Pin It” symbol appears and then click …. be patient, it sometimes takes a few seconds. This will take you to your own Pinterest account to save the card.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...