Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mixed Media Card

Well, this morning hubby suggested we go back to Rondeau after lunch for some mid-week exercise. Good idea. Might as well get as many bike rides in as we can in the nice weather. He loses interest after labour day. So, I decided not to start a quilting project because I hate getting started on something and have to put it it all away again before I'm done. For some strange reason it doesn't bother me to quit scrapbooking or card making. I just push the table back against the shelves and turn out the light and walk away. It seems to frustrate me with quilting though.

I finished one card that I had left unassembled but I just felt like I needed a change and after viewing Linda Heavens blog and her mixed media piece I was inspired to make a mixed media card. 

I really didn't have much of a plan so I didn't write anything down. I know the background started out as white and sponged various colours of blue, yellow and green ink around and inked the edges with a darker blue at the top, green at the bottom and then brown all on top of that. The brown script is from a Tim Holtz stamp and the misshapen dots are from another stamp set. I added ants in the bottom right corner - can't have a garden scene without ants - and stamped some flowers using a soft grey to keep them in the background. Then I decided it needed some scrolls so I added them and some dragonflies.

The only thing I had in my mind to do was the flower with a bird on it. The flower was cut out from a Tim Holtz flower die and I used various colours of ink on it to give it some variations in colour and then folded back one part to make it look (hopefully) like a bent flower. The centre of the flower is "flower soft"....love that stuff! I stamped the leaves on green paper and cut them out and after I glued them on I added a cut stem.

The bird on top of the flower is from a QuicKutz die and I cut it out 3 times and then glued it together to give it dimension. I was planning on using the big bird from Stampin' Bella but it was too big. I did use one of the smaller Bella birds for the bottom bird though. I inked the stamp and then removed some of the ink so it would not be a solid colour (boring) and then I drew in a wing.

I'm not sure I'm done. I wanted the bird to be singing "Happy Birthday to you" but I don't have a stamp that says that. I'll have to think about this one.

Creating is more my style but it does take longer then just stamping and colouring.
Now that I've done a test run I may pick up some canvas pieces and work on something a little larger. I can hear hubby groaning already. He keeps telling me that I have to much on the go and have enough "future projects in my head" to last 50 years. That's OK. Doesn't cost anything to dream!




1 comment:

  1. This is a very pretty card. Love the background (and the stamped bird of course ;).
    Thank you so much for your comment on my blog.
    For the digital scrapbooking, I have been using Scrapbook pictures. com (in the US) for years, even when I lived in the UK. About the cropping there are a couple of things to know, email me if you want any info .
    Have a nice weekend,
    isa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...