Monday, October 24, 2011

Art Journal Monday October 24 - Winter Snow

This week's AJ challenge was to use punches on your piece. Mhhhmmm problem. I don't have very many punches and most are just tiny ones. I did find 3 different snowflake punches so a winter scene is what I did. Here it is.


You cannot tell by the photo but I didn't just punch out and stick on snowflakes. Most of them were punched out using contact paper, stuck on and then I painted the entire piece with three different colours of blue paint. I decided it needed more depth so I got out a stamp that has small dots on it and stamped it with VersaMark and then white embossing powder and heat set it. This is where I ran into a problem! As I was heating up the embossing powder it occurred to me that the plastic was still on the snowflakes and I probably was melting them into the paper. Ooops! I was pretty careful about heat setting the small dots after that light bulb moment. Then I removed the plastic off the snowflakes - most of them came off pretty good but the ones that I got the heat gun too close to were a bit tricky to remove.

The trees were stamped with black Stazon and I also added some white embossing around the base of the trees and the ground. A stencil was used to create the swirls. The large evergreen tree was stamped with Stazon, and the middle part embossed with white and then cut out and attached. I love seeing a red cardinal against the winter snow so I had to include one. The cardinal was from a photo I took in our back yard and it was just the right size but the colour was not intense enough so I inked some red over it.

The "Winter Snow" was cut from an old music pamphlet the Chatham Daily News inserts every winter. I don't sing but I keep them for cutting up. The cardinal didn't seem to be sitting well on the title so I stamped a small black swirl under him for a branch. A little journaling and a strip of the negative snowflakes (also part of the challenge) and I declared it finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...