Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Under the Weather Cards

I picked up a piece of designer paper at the Paper Pickle that had umbrellas on it and rain drops falling on the umbrellas. I just knew it would be perfect for get well cards. Here's what I came up with.

I started with a royal blue card base which happened to be the same colour as the dots at the end of the rain drops. I found a strip of brown in my stash (yes, I keep all small strips) that matched the colour of the umbrella and ran it thru the Cuttlebug with one of the strip embossing pads. I wanted the umbrella to look wet so I used my Versamark pen to colour it in and then embossed it with clear embossing powder.
I had cut the umbrella from the page a little larger then I needed and took it to my computer and printer. I printed the sentiment out on scrap paper, then taped the umbrella piece lining up where I wanted the sentiment to go and printed it again. Once removed from the printer I was able to trim it to size. Sometimes the tape tears the paper, sometimes not, so I likely to start with a larger size then needed.

The second card:

Pretty much the same techniques as the first one but of course, a larger one and one that matches the umbrella and I stitched the two together.

The last one:

The last umbrella was over to one side enough that there was not enough room to use the same techniques. So I hand cut the umbrella out, embossed it with clear embossing powder, and re-cut the umbrella handle out of the same paper as the strip along the side. I used the top of the paper showing the rain drops and attached it to the wine strip which matches the swirls in the umbrella (yes, I like things to match) and added  a pink ribbon to conceal the join. I used some Quickutz tag dies for the sentiment which I again printed out on my computer. The flower is a Stampin' Up die. I wasn't crazy about this die when I first used it but then I realized it was because I had die cut it with a piece of dark paper and it didn't show the ridges of the centre. Once I clued in and die cut it using light paper and inking the edges, I really liked it. The centre is a dew drop that I died with alcohol inks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...