Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hummingbird Birthday Card

Wow, what a storm we had yesterday! I think the weather report said 40% chance of rain and/or thunderstorm, well we got the 100% and then some. Joe had just left for a hair cut when I got home from visiting at the nursing home and I looked outside and thought the clouds were getting a bit dark so I brought the clothes in off the clothes line - even though he said in the morning to leave them there until after we get home from getting groceries - which was planned after his hair cut. So, he got home and we headed out just after 3:00 to get groceries and we had a few sprinkles on the way...and a few rumbles of thunder. It was raining pretty good at the store so we ran for the entrance figuring it would be over by the time we finished getting groceries. Fast forward 3 hours - it never quit raining/pouring/lightening/thundering since then. Incredible strong storms just kept roaring thru....and then a rainbow! Beautiful full rainbow across the edge of the city. I couldn't get a picture of it because I would have to go out into the street and it was still raining a bit and my camera is not water proof. But you know, it made me think that this is pretty much the way life is - everyone gets some storms in their life, but if you wait them out, then you enjoy the rainbows that follow. So, what ever troubles you are experiencing, wait them out for the rainbows.

Today I'm posting a card I made with a stamp I rented (actually a free rental because I had a coupon) from the Paper Pickle.

It's hard to tell in the photo, but the hummingbird is actually 3 dimensional. I stamped the image on the white cardstock and once on a piece of scrap cardstock. I coloured up the image with Twinkling H20's, cut it out and glued it to the stamped image, but left the wing free. The flower was coloured with Tombow markers. It and the pink cardstock was cut out with the Spellbinder's square die, and embossed, and blue chalk was sponged around the edges of the image while still in the die. It was then mounted on pink cardstock and I stitched around the inside edge of the square with blue thread. I made a blue square card base and added the flowered paper and I then stitched around it in the same blue thread. The fancy blue strip across the top was cut out and embossed with the one and only Spellbinder's Edgeabilities that I own which I then mounted on the same pink cardstock as behind the image. Once it was all glued down, Stickles were added to both, and then some gem stones here and there. The blue strip with the sentiment was cut out from a left over piece from making the card base and I just added a little fabric flower. Lots of layers, lots of stitching, but I like it!


1 comment:

  1. I like your card too! Lovely hummingbird. Your rainbow story reminds me of one of my favorite sayings.....'This Too Shall Pass..' Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...