Monday, October 28, 2013

Got Candy?

Just a quick posting this morning. Getting ready to head over to the church to make quilts for ChildCan – a non-profit group that gives a quilt to every child at Sick Kids in London that is diagnosed with cancer….among other things like free parking passes, etc. We send down dozens of quilts each year. I have three I completed at home this summer (we don’t meet in the summer) and I think I’ll post them another day. I don’t usually get pictures of the ChildCan quilts because I don’t usually make them at home. Our quilt guild provides the fabric which is all donated from various sources and the batting, which we have to buy, so all it costs us is the thread we use. We try to get the batting on sale because we go thru so much of it and it’s pricey. Our group’s leaders are really good about getting sales and even getting some donations of $$$ to buy it. If you think you’re just one person and cannot do much, look around your neighbourhood and find someone who is lonely or could use some lawn work help, join a group, visit a nursing home. It’s amazing what one person can do that changes a life….and strangely enough, the more you give, the more you receive back!

We’re getting down to the last of the Halloween cards.  Only two more to show you. This one was made for the three year old grandson. His mom told me he was so excited about getting mail and loved the card. He either carries it around or put it in the cupboard so it’s “safe”. Three year olds are just too cute.
 

I didn’t want anything too scary even though nothing seems to scare him. Even last year when he was two he thought all the scary stuff was funny. You never know with kids. I took a piece of black cardstock and ran a white ink pad over it to make it look like fog. It looks better in real life than the photo shows. The little Halloween monster and sentiment came from Hot Off the Press (Paper Wishes) and its one of their .99 stamp sets. I coloured it with Prismacolor pencils and gamsol and then mounted it on cardstock die cut with the Spellbinder’s Deckle Edge die. The pumpkin is an iron-on fabric one but I added the yellow cardstock for the eyes and just glued it on. The eyes and teeth were drawn in with a black gel pen. The ribbon came from the stash.

Cheers

Violet

 

1 comment:

  1. beautiful card, I bet your grandson loved it! Good for you making the quilts! Someone told me that they used blankets for quilt batting, I thought it was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...