Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Bright Card on a Cold Day

“The air hurts my face. Why am I living where the air hurts my face?” That’s a joke going around Facebook and it popped into my mind this afternoon as I walked home from visiting the shut-ins at the nursing home. It’s only about a three block walk so I couldn’t see the point of driving and it was only -10C (14F) but I forgot to check that darn old wind chill factor which made it feel like -20C (4F) and to make matters worse I had hard snow, hitting my face on the way home. It felt like snow pellets hitting me but when I looked back it just looked like snow coming down. All I know is it was cold. I expect my lower studio, aka the basement, will not seem as cold now!

I had a few errands to run this morning including dropping off some bookmarks for two of my grandsons – and their parents. I had a request from the 6 year old that he really needed more bookmarks. Apparently we have yet another reader in the family who is reading far above the Grade 1 level. His older brother, who also loves to read, has a huge selection of books and his bookshelf has become Seth’s library. I was more than happy to make them both some bookmarks and both parents love to read as well so I made them one too.

Today’s card is another experiment that sort of worked but it did not turn out as nice as I thought it was suppose to. It’s bright. You may need sunglasses on!


I had some of both this bright pinky/wine paper (background) in my stash and the wide strip of dark wine. I covered the square card and then rounded the corners. I don’t have either the large corner cutter or the Croc-a-dile tools but I have the old scissors that cut corners and they work as long as it’s light cardstock or paper. Some day I may get the real deal but until they come on sale somewhere, it’s not going to happen.
 
I had read on the Internet about stamping an image with Versamark and then brushing chalk over it, and the more you brushed the darker it became. Well, I stamped all the flowers and started brushing but as you can see, they didn’t get darker where I brushed over them. I wanted the centre of the large flower to be darker but it is the same colour all over. Some of the smaller flowers I used a lighter pink on so they are lighter because of that. Once I gave up getting them darker I die cut it and then sponged some lighter pink all over it when it was still in the die (Spellbinders).  The same technique was used on the sentiment and little flowers on the little square. It was die cut with another Spellbinders die along with the fancy square behind it which was cut from paper from the same paper pack as the background paper. I added some little gems in the centre of the flowers. Its okay but not what I expected.

I’ve had a busy day. I’ve also got the quilt sleeve ready to sew on to the Don’t Bug Me quilt today. I’ll be glad to see the end of that project as I have another one or two, or maybe more, brewing in my head and I love starting a new project!

Oh, confession time. While I was out running some errands this morning I stopped by our local scrapbook store, The Paper Pickle, who is having a big sale and I treated myself to some new dies and stamps. Nothing like a little crafting retail therapy to brighten up a day!

That’s all on a cold Wednesday.

Cheers

Violet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...