Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Nautical Embossing Folder



A very cold day here once again and tonight and tomorrow there could be freezing rain. If you are from the south you probably have never had this but it happens when it rains and the temperature is right around 0C (32F). If it dips below the freezing mark it freezes as it hits the ground, trees, or anything else. It’s deadly when it hits the pavement because it just looks wet but is very slippery. Hope the temperature stays above freezing and it just rains.

Today was a very productive day. I got a lot done on the quilt that I’m quilting but it is far from finished. This is a very large quilt…72x80 I think….way too big to easily be quilted on my domestic sewing machine but I cannot afford to have them quilted by someone with a long-arm – it would be almost $300.00 likely. My shoulders are a bit stiff and sore from pulling the quilt through the throat of the machine over and over and over. I definitely got an upper body workout today!

Last week I mentioned stopping in at the Paper Angel scrapbook store in Blenheim…..just to look around, not to buy…..but bought a few things anyway……and one of them was an nautical embossing folder. I couldn’t wait to try it out so I used my window die and made another thinking of you card.

I embossed a piece of chocolate brown cardstock and glued it to the card base. The window frame was die cut and then I sponged brown ink around the edges. The windows have a sheet of plastic (from a package) behind them which doesn’t show in the photo but in real life it really makes a difference. The background photo is from a note card and I have no idea where I got this box of note cards from but seeing as I don’t send out store bought note cards I thought I may as well use them in my own cards. Bakers twine was wrapped around the window frame and then I tied a tag (Cuttlebug die) to it. The sentiment is a peel-off and it started out gold but it was too bright and shiny for the card so while it was still on the package I ran a dark brown alcohol pen over it to dull it. That really works well. Then I hot glued the window frame to the embossed cardstock. I used hot glue this time because I didn’t think the window frame would stick well on the embossed areas with just regular glue. The inside simply says, “Wishing you better days ahead” so it could be for someone ill or going through some other personal crisis.

That’s all for a cold Tuesday’
  
Cheers
Violet

1 comment:

  1. You know i LOVE your window cards! And putting that clear plastic in the window is sheer genius! Stay warm Violet! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...