Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Scare, a Goof, and a Card.



That’s right – a scare, a goof and a card. First the scare. In June I had my annual mammogram. My mother died of breast cancer at age 54 so I’ve had mammograms since I was in my late 30’s. This time they found something that was not there last year. Oh oh. So, an ultrasound was booked which double confirmed there was something there that wasn’t supposed to be, so then a biopsy was done. Then I received a letter saying I needed to have both the ultrasound and mammogram repeated in January. No other explanation. Oh oh again. So I booked an appointment with my family doctor (he was going to call me but I booked the appointment before he had a chance to do so) and yesterday was good news day – the “something” is just a fatty deposit, never turns cancerous and I can forget about it…..mmmhhh cellulite in by boob? He says the breast screening clinic always asks for a 6 month follow-up just to protect their butts and he gets furious with them when there is really no need for it. So, ladies, please go get a mammogram. I know we are fortunate in Canada to have free health care so it costs us nothing to have these tests done but even if you do have to pay for it, please find a way to do so. I know where this “thing” is and I cannot feel it. If it wasn’t for the mammogram I wouldn’t know it was there and it could have been cancerous.

The “goof” is not a biggie but annoying just the same. I decided yesterday morning to make the 16 half-square triangles I need for my next charity quilt for Rondeau Park. I haven’t been quilting this summer at all but there is no excuse....other than brain fade….for me to put the fabric wrong sides together instead of right sides together! AAAgggghhhh! I hate “unsewing”….aka ripping out…but I sat on the porch last night and removed all the stitches and now they are ready to sew back together again. I still can’t believe I did that. I’ve been sewing since I was a teenager, and quilting for several years now, but every once in awhile its brain fade time!

Now the card! Another experiment that I liked.


This card was made with a single sheet of cream cardstock that came with that embossed area. It was part of a note card set I picked up at the thrift store and didn’t realize it they were just a single sheets….but if I buy it, I use it! So first I rubbed various Distress Inks around it – mostly Tumbled Glass or Broken China, Mustard Seed and a little Spiced Marmalade. Then I placed a stencil over it and sponged more of the blue ink over it. The flower stamp was inked with Versamark, black pigment ink, and then stamped on the card and covered with black embossing powder. I like to use black ink when using black embossing powder. Normally I would have shaken and brushed off all the little bits of extra embossing powder but this time I decided I liked the little black dots so I left several on and heat embossed it. Once the sentiment was stamped on, the panel was then glued to a regular  beige card base.

It continues to be very hot and humid – with the heat and humidex, it felt like 104F today. Two of our neighbours, both in their 70’s, were out cutting grass this afternoon. Crazy people. Joe waited until almost 5:00 to get ours done so at least it was a little less humid. We are having a bit of a rain shower right now but it doesn’t look like it will amount to too much.

That’s all for a hot, humid, and now rainy, Wednesday

Cheers
Violet





3 comments:

  1. So thankful that your test results were negative. I know the waiting time is awful. LOVE YOUR CARD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job with the Distressed Inks.... they are on my Wish List! I'm loving the whole silhouette idea i've been seeing around YOuTube.. I want to give it a go when i get my stamps unpacked.... some year....uuugh.

    I've totally jumped on the bandwagon of use what you got.. Because really i have no choice... little to no room to create anything and i'm not unpacking any more or buying anymore so its 'use what i got'... Just finished a postcard today using the inside of security envelopes.. you know the ones with the cool designs inside... I'll post it soon... Stay cool woman! We get a little 'cool' down tomorrow... Only 90 instead of 100 .. it may feel absolutely frigid!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and OMGosh i forgot to mention... but please don't think it wasn't on my mind... Thank goodness you only have a fatty boob! :)Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...