Wednesday, December 9, 2015

A Splitcoast Stamper Inspired Cards


I’m very tired today….second night in a row I woke up about 1:30 and could not get back to sleep for over two hours…..and this morning I had to be up at 6:30 to get my sister to the hospital for another surgery….she is doing fine and is staying with us overnight again. While she was lying down for a nap this afternoon Joe and I went for our walk….it’s nice we can still walk outside without any ice or snow on the sidewalks but that darn wind makes it difficult to know how to dress. One minute we were both bundled up tight and then when we turn the corner, we were hot because the wind was blocked…..always something to complain about right!

Last week Splitcoast Stampers had a tutorial on water colouring some Christmas ornaments so I decided to give it a try….although I didn’t follow their example exactly….no surprise. Here’s my two cards roughly based on their tutorial.


 
 
The bulbs were hand painted without using a mask like they suggested – I tried it once and it was too much work. So I just drew the circles with a Spellbinder’s die using a water colour pencil the same colour as I was going to pain the ornament. I did the background first using many different colours of green, pulled out a few lines to look like pine needles….should have pulled more but live and learn. The ornaments were painted with water colour glimmer paint so they had a nice shimmer to them. If they didn’t shimmer enough I added some Wink of Stella. The sentiments were die cut with my new Tim Holtz die set – love this die set…..so glad I treated myself to it. For the purple one, I die cut it twice, once in purple, once in dark blue and laid them one on top of each other off-set a bit so it looked like a shadow. I ran the Tombow glue pen over the top and then sprinkled on some glitter. I decided I just didn’t like the top bare so I die cut a tree branch with another, gulp, Tim Holtz die set that I treated myself too….no self control sometimes…..and I added some glitter to them as well.

At first I did paint some ornaments using the mask on some cheap water colour paper that prevented the paint from blending and it ruined the background. I’ll post the card I made with them another day.

That’s all for a warmer than normal but cool windy Wednesday,


Cheers

Violet

 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it fun to try something new??? I love these two cards Violet. I've been watching Rach0113 on You Tube. She is doing a Christmas Card series that i've really enjoyed. Tomorrow is Day 7 the last day ... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...