Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Mixed Media Card


Not much news to report today. My brain disorders decided to attack last night and still haven’t left so its been a quiet day. It’s quilt guild meeting tonight but I’m skipping it……they are demonstrating hand quilting tonight and I do not hand quilt nor do I have any interest in learning it – that’s why sewing machines were invented – so we don’t have to hand quilt anymore. It looks amazing mind you and I compliment the ones that do it…..and do it well….but it’s not for me. I did get a few more cards finished this afternoon though.  

I really like how this card turned out even though it started out as an ‘oops” which aptly stands for ‘Outstanding Opportunity Presented Suddenly’.  A couple of weeks ago I posted a Christmas card done in light blue for a challenge for a single layer card. I liked it but after looking at it for a couple of days I got to thinking it might look better mounted on a solid blue base but did I want to change it …..and then…..I turned it over! So glad I did because for some odd reason I had blue and I think other little dots of ink all over the back of the card. Decision made and I cut down the front of that card and mounted it on blue and made a new card…..but the splattered back was still there staring at me and daring me to make something out of it…..so I did…..and here it is:

 
Because it had blue splats on it I added a few more using Broken China Distress ink and a crossword stamp that I don’t think I have ever used as a full stamp – bought it used at the Paper Pickle -  but I like to use bits of the lines and marks on it on mixed media pieces.  Then I used the Tim Holtz script stamp in Antique Linen – again, not the full stamp, just bits of it…….by dabbing a paper towel on it here and there to remove some of the ink before stamping. Then I sponged Broken China on the top left corner and Antique Linen on the bottom right corner blending them towards each other. To make the solid stamp I used on the bottom more interesting, I inked it up with various browns, a bit of black, and red for the flower tops, huffed on it and stamped it. I wanted the bottom longer so I just sponged brown ink along the bottom. The butterflies were stamped in the same brown ink. This sounds like a lot of steps but each one went very quickly.

Then I decided it needed a big butterfly for the focal image so I first die cut the butterfly (Memory Box die) out of the solid blue cardstock and then I just embossed it onto the shiny blue cardstock and cut out the butterfly. So when I glued the top part onto the embossed bottom part, the inserts are embossed against the flat top part and I’m sure some people will wonder how in the world I was able to just emboss part of it – now you know.

The tag was die cut with an old Cuttlebug die and the sentiments stamped twice – once with silver; and then black over top of the silver but off-sided a bit. It was held in place with some shiny blue thread. Then the entire piece was mounted onto solid blue cardstock and then glued to a white card base – and I called it ‘finished’.

Don’t forget, if you have a Pinterest account, you can now save any of my projects to your account for future reference.

That’s all for a Wednesday,

Cheers

Violet

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...