Friday, September 21, 2018

First Day of Fall


I believe it’s the first official day of fall and this is the last hot day we’ll have for awhile. It will definitely feel like fall later tonight and tomorrow. We were under a severe thunderstorm watch all afternoon with a chance of tornado but it bypassed this area. However, there was a tornado east of here with lots of damage….and quite close to where one of my daughter’s lives. Luckily they are all okay. Scary weather for sure.

Today I’m posting a painting instead of a card. I found this pattern on the Internet years ago and just had to paint it. It hangs on our front porch every September.

 

        This is about a 9’ piece of plywood that was first primed with a light coat of Varathane. This is a must if painting on wood or the paint just absorbs right into the wood. Unfortunately I’m not sure what paint company had it on their project list and it’s been so long now it’s likely been removed. I use acrylic paint from various companies and they all work just fine except the real cheap ones...Apple Berry is one...their paint is so thin its more like a stain so I avoid that one. Once it was dry I put on another light coat of Varathane; let it dry; lightly, very lightly and quickly, sand it and then another coat of Varathane…sometimes three coats with a quick and light sanding in between. The sanding makes it very smooth but you need a light touch.

So Happy Fall everyone! Have a wonderful weekend and I’ll be back on Monday with a card.

Cheers

Violet


1 comment:

  1. What a great painting Violet!!! I'd like to paint on wood so thanks for the tips! Hubby has LOTS of wood.... Whew! I'm so glad you and your family are safe. Yesterday they kept threatening us with rain...lots of rain.. and it just wasn't materializing.. then over night last night it started raining..and its 6am and it hasn't let up once.. just a constant rain..not heavy not light.. perfect really.. A perfect send off for all the trees and plants into Fall.. I wonder if the last of the hummers will leave this week? Its expected to be rather cool.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...