Monday, August 10, 2020

A Partial Die Cut...Flop

         Another heat spell is upon us but this one should only last a few days…it’s to go out with a thunderstorm later tonight and tomorrow. It was very hot and humid today with the humidex making it feel like it was in the high 90F’s. We made stops at several fruit stands this morning and I quilted all afternoon…until my iron decided to shoot out rusty coloured water! I’ve cleaned it with vinegar a couple of times without 100% cleaning it out…. so it’s time for a new iron. This one is very old and does not owe me a thing but still….annoying.

        I was watching an old Jennifer McGuire video about partial die cutting and decided to give it a try. Here’s the card and I’ll explain later what I did wrong….unless you can guess when you see it.

                 

I followed her instructions and die cut the three small Tim Holtz Crazy Dogs but only the top of them, the feet are still attached to the what- was-white-but-now-is-inked-grass-green cardstock. The dogs were quickly coloured with TomBow markers….by scribbling them on a piece of plastic; spritzing with water; and using a paint brush to paint the dogs. Now the entire Jennifer McGuire’s partial die cut card was only a small card – from the dog’s feet to the bottom of the light green but with her die cuts sticking up, it fit into a standard card envelope. I think she used flowers that were thicker. I didn’t think the dogs would be very stable so I glued it to that dark green card base; added the sentiment to another piece of green inked cardstock; and glued it to the bottom. Then I took a good look at it and said, “Oh, oh! It’s a flop!” Can you see why this is a flop? It no longer looks like a partial die cut! Duh! Well, it’s not a total flop, still cute, but not the look I was going for. I’m going to make another partial die cut card and somehow make the images that are die cut show they were only partially die cut….maybe that’s why she used flowers. Back to the drawing board.

        That’s all for a hot and humid Monday on August 10, 2020.

Cheers

Violet

PS: To save a card to your Pinterest account, simply hover over the image until the ‘Pin It” symbol appears and then click…it sometimes take a few seconds. This will take you to your own Pinterest account to save the card.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...