Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Cards for my Grandsons

 I finally mailed the Christmas cards away! Hope they get to the recipients before Christmas - can't believe its next weekend. Looks like another green Christmas here in South-West Ontario. It's been raining since yesterday morning and no sign of stopping yet. Suits me fine, I can do without snow.

Today I'm posting the cards I made for three of my grandsons. I forgot to take a photo of the one I made for Finn - drat! I found some fabric at R.B. Fabrics that had cats and dogs on it with holly around them and one of the dogs was a black lab - and two live with Finn. Had to have it. I used fusible web to iron it to the card base so he wouldn't be able to pick it off - he's only 18 months old so I made sure I didn't have anything on his card he could pick off and put in his mouth. Oh well, trust me. It was quite nice.

But I did photograph the ones I made for the other 3 grandsons. These are all stand-up cards.


This, obviously, is for Seth. The card lays flat and then when you open it, the front stands up and leans against the snowflake rim to hold it up. I die cut all the boys' names with an alphabet set from ProvoCraft in the Cuttlebug and I remembered to put the cardstock thru the Xyron machine first this time. The snowflake on this card is from a Quickutz die.

The snowman on Jack's card was die cut with a die from Sizzix. The paper came with glitter on it and only the large Sizzix dies will cut thru it. After it was cut I just used a sponge to add colour to the parts that needed colour....but it was still rather flat looking so I die cut the hat and scarf again, coloured them and then glued them on top for a 3D effect - much better.


Joven's snowman was made the same way and I added a large die cut flourish on this. See the large snowflake on the card?  Here is a close up.

This snowflake was made by cutting out cardstock using a corner die and then piecing it together overlapping some and then I added a snowflake in the centre to keep it together. I love to use the dies for other then their original purpose - lets face it, dies are expensive so you might was well make good use of them.

These are large cards and didn't fit in any envelopes I had so I had to make my own. Next time, I'll start with a smaller base. These are quite easy to make. Just type in "stand up cards" on the Internet and you will find all kinds of instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...