Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Frog card - and how I made it

Not much happening around our house this week. Pretty quiet week for us so no funny incidents to tell you about. I did, finally, finish the five quilts and five bags that I'm sending off today or tomorrow for a deserving family so that was good to get done and out of the way.(Will post pictures of them tomorrow maybe) Only about 20 more things to finish!!!

Today I'm posting a card I made this week and it's pretty straightforward so no explanation is required for the technique but I thought I'd let you know why I seldom use sketches unless I'm participating in a challenge. My thought process just not do straight lines - more like zigzag!

Here's the card I made.

Like I said, no fancy technique here. I started out stamping the frog and embossing it in black and coloured it with Prismacolor markers and gamsol. Then I went over the entire image with a VersaMark pen and embossed it with clear embossing powder to make him very shiny. There is blue chalk dusted around him but it is not very visible in the photo.

Now, my intention was to die cut him with a square die and a larger die in green to go behind it and add it to a couple pieces of designer paper and a bow. You know, the usual simple cards for kids. Well, first thing I noticed was that green blotchy paper that I had die cut a piece out of for another card. The left over piece was still laying on the table. OK, maybe I'll use that and put the image behind it. Well, it look good but the image was partly hidden...and the edge of the cut out portion was rather boring left plain. So, I die cut out a frame using two sizes of the same Spellbinder's label and added that to the opening. I positioned the image behind it and marked where his foot would have to be cut away so it sticks out. I used my Fiskars craft knife to cut around his foot. When I glued on the image I made sure his foot was sticking out of the frame. He looks like he's jumping out.

I used a left over piece of the light green paper that I cut the frame from to die cut a Spellbinder's ribbon tag, stamped on Happy Birthday and ran a greeny/gold ribbon thru it. Once it was completed I glued it to a green card base.

It doesn't look anything like I was going to make when I started but like I said, my brain seems to zigzag a lot!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...