Monday, November 11, 2013

Lest We Forget

LEST WE FORGET

There will be no post today in respect for all the soldiers who died fighting for our rights and freedom. My thoughts are especially with my uncle, Frank Harvey Willett, who died just before the end of the war at age 23. He is buried in Italy and if I ever win the lottery I am going to go to Italy to visit his grave. Unfortunately because of my brain disorders I am not allowed to fly so it will be very expensive to go by ship and train. That is the only thing that is on my bucket list.

This is one of the few pictures we have of him. He lived with my parents, as did his mother and siblings, and their house burnt to the ground two weeks before I was born, a year after Frank was killed so only a handful of photos survived.

 


 

Last year I painted poppies on a piece of slate and it hangs on our front porch from Nov 1 until Nov 11 in his memory. This is the painting.


 

My thoughts and prayers also go to all the innocent civilians who perished during the wars. When are people going to learn that war and violence is not the answer to any problem.

 Lest We Forget

In Peace
 
Violet


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...