Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Give them the Gears Card

Today is hubby’s birthday! We had a great day too. It didn’t start out that well because its been rainy and overcast here for the last few days which triggered off a pretty bad episode of the brain disorders. This morning I didn’t think I’d make it off the sofa all day; however, by 10:30 or so I was having less pain and felt well enough to bake him a cake. Then I took him out for lunch and we did a little Christmas shopping and grocery shopping too. We wanted to go for a long walk but it was raining too hard so we just walked around the mall. He said he had a nice birthday so that’s good.

I don’t make cards for him but I did make some cards for men last week with my new Tim Holtz embossing folder and die that I bought at the Paper Pickle. Here’s the first card I made.


The dark brown background was run through the gears embossing folder. The paper on top was run thru the second embossing folder that came with the gears. It’s sort of an engineering type folder. I used some paper that already had writing and drawings on it and then I inked the embossed parts with Distress Ink – Tea Dye I think. Believe it or not the gears were die cut from grey cardstock! Some grey cardstock came in a pack with other paper and it was a rather a dull grey and I really didn’t think I’d ever use it but then I had a brain wave! Before I die cut them, I painted the cardstock with acrylic paint using some browns, greens and blues and then splattered them with black. I think they look like rusty old gears and that is the look I was going for. The old car is also a Tim Holtz stamp and I stamped and embossed that one with Tea Dye embossing powder. I seldom use that but I had picked it up on sale and thought it was time I used it. I can’t say it’s that much different that regular embossing powder and I sure won’t buy more but it’s okay….or maybe I just didn’t do it right. It’s supposed to leave a gritty texture but mine’s not that gritty. All in all, I rather like how this card turned out.

Cheers

Violet

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...