Friday, February 7, 2014

A Hot Card on a Cold Day

Brrrrrrrr. Very, very cold here in Southern Ontario. I do believe it is the coldest winter in history (my history anyway) and we have more snow than I can remember in the last 25 years I’ve lived here. This morning I was watching some kids walk to school, which is right around the corner from us, and one girl had a flimsy little knit hat on but her friend didn’t have any hat on. She was walking with her hands (she did have mitts on) covering her ears. Then I noticed that her coat had a lovely warm looking hood – but she didn’t flip it up. I guess it’s not “cool” to have a hood on???  Kids! It’s a wonder they don’t all have pneumonia.

Today’s card is for the Stamping Bella challenge this week – which was to make a card with the three colours she posted…and use one of her current stamps, of course. Here’s mine.

 

So the three colours were the bright turquoise blue, light turquoise blue and burgundy. The stamped image was coloured with Prismacolor pencils and gamsol. I was watching a Frugal Crafter video the other day and she uses Prismacolor pencils but just blends them with her pencils, no gamsol. I’ve tried that without much success in the past so I went back to blending with gamsol; but, then she mentioned that to blend with pencils you need to have a paper with a bit of tooth to it, and you cannot use the paper you would use for Copics – or blending with gamsol. DUH! I should have known that or picked up on it. I’ve been trying to blend the pencils on the same shiny paper you have to use for Copics or gamsol. I only own about 5 Copics and I get the same look with my pencils and blending with gamsol so I don’t think I’ll be buying any more of them. But I may try just the pencils again now that I know what my problem was.

Anyway, back to the card. The background paper is from my stash but it met the light blue requirement so I used it. I really like this fancy rectangle die from Spellbinders but the largest one (the bright blue) was too big for my card base which is 5.5”. So I die cut it and then cut it in half and took a slim bit of each half and taped them back together on the back, and then added the burgundy ribbon to hide the slit. I shall have to remember this for a few other dies I have that fit the larger cards but not the ones I usually make. The ice cream cone stacks did not fit into the die either so I stamped them on a piece of scrap paper, coloured them and glued them on top (called paper piecing). The burgundy butterflies were cut and embossed with a Stampin’ Up die. The sentiment came with the stamp and the label is another Spellbinder die. The one corner looked bare so I cut around on of the butterflies from the background paper (okay confession, I punched it out from behind the stamped image before gluing everything down) and added it. I quite often cut out a portion of any paper that is hidden by something else. Why waste it!

 And that’s it for a Friday from the cold Canadian North.

Cheers

Violet

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...