Thursday, November 13, 2014

First Snowfall and a Christmas Card






Yes, we woke up to snow falling today. This picture is just a bit of the corner of my garden by the shed. There are still some roses blooming in some spots as well even though I quit dead-heading them the last week of August hoping they would form the rosehips and get ready for winter. The fall was too hot for them to prepare properly so we will likely lose a few again.

In spite of the fact that Joe absolutely hates winter and snow we walked downtown again this morning…just our usual walk to the library and through the mall and then back home. After lunch I was just heading for the sewing room to tackle the very large quilt that does not want to fit into my small sewing machine when he reminded me that this was flu clinic day at the old CAW hall which is about 1 ½ blocks from our house. So we walked down; waited in line for about an hour; got our flu shots and got home just in time for coffee break!! It’s been a busy day and yet I feel like I have nothing accomplished because I haven’t set foot in either studio yet!

Oh, and another surprise this morning – the mail delivered my winnings from Tim Holtz's blog and I was sent quite a few pieces of his fabric line – not enough for a quilt but enough to add some texture and interest to some mixed media and cards. Nice!

Last night I decided to make some cards while waiting for the hockey game to start and chose to make one for the challenge over at: http://merrymondaychristmaschallenge.blogspot.ca which was to make a Christmas card using only silver/blue/grey. Here’s what I came up with.
 


I started out die cutting that large ornament using a Sizzix die. The picture shows lines embossed on the ornament but mine came out flat…which I found rather boring. So I placed it on my Score-Pal and scored my own lines….still boring, better but still boring. So I thought, “I wonder if I can die cut something in the middle to look like a fancy ornament?” (Its only paper people, feel free to experiment) So, I pulled out a Spellbinder die and ran it on top of the die cut ornament through the Big Shot and then placed that shiny silver paper behind it and YES! I loved it. The first background paper is some already embossed paper from Paper Wishes that I have had for years and I keep forgetting about it. So I ran some light blue ink around the edges and just a bit into the centre but keeping the centre very light. This was then glued to a piece of plain but pretty shiny blue paper. The hook that holds the ornament was die cut from a small Sizzix flourish die and I just cut off one part. The blue banner was hand cut from a left over piece of the last background paper and I added the silver sentiment which is a peel-off. Funny thing is the top part of the ornament and the hook were both die cut from the same piece of silver but they look totally different – likely the lighting when taking the photo.

So, one more Christmas card done. I liked the look of this so much and I still had some of the papers left over so I decided instead of putting them away, to make more silver and blue cards….so stay tuned!

That’s all for a snowy Thursday,

Cheers
Violet

5 comments:

  1. Look at that! SNOW! So pretty Violet. Thank you for sharing that picture. We had some rain this morning or should i say drizzle.....Either way it was nice. Love your Christmas card. Using a die to cut out the center was very clever and pretty! Stay warm. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever to cut that design from the center of the ornament and placing silver foil behind it! So elegant and beautiful, Violet! Thanks for sharing it with us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very pretty, Violet! Love the diecut ornament and the foil behind it! Great idea and i'm sure it's even prettier IRL! Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Merry Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! What a great holographic look to that ornament :) Thanks for playing with us this week at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ornament - love the shimmer!!!!!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Merry Monday.

    Deanne :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...