Monday, September 23, 2019

A Christmas Card


            After a few days of hot and humid weather we are finally back to more seasonal temperatures. Today it is just beautiful outside – sunny with a warm wind blowing. They keep predicting rain, which we need, but so far, no rain.

        This is the first Christmas card I’ve made for this year….I normally have them all finished by now but with Joe being sick all summer, I’m very far behind. He is feeling better now, just has to get his strength back, so I’m back to the card making.

 

     All dies are, except the sentiment, are unbranded dies from Aliexpress. The cup is die cut from a piece of left over blue cardstock....just as a trial to see how it cuts and it was so nice I decided to go with it.  The cup is not very large so I decided to mount it on a stitched octagonal die cut shape…first in white and then in the same colour blue. A bit of blue ink was sponged along the bottom of the cup so it wasn’t floating. The whip cream top is some glitter foam which also cut beautifully. The snowflake came with the cut set as well so I die cut it and glued it on….even that steam is a die cut. Those are marshmallows by the cup. First I die cut them from cardstock but they were ‘blah’ so I covered them with a layer of ModPodge and that helped make them more realistic.

The designer paper is from a 6” paper pack from Michaels and I thought it suited the cup well enough….but again, it looked a bit blah so I die cut that snowflake swag and glued it on. The sentiment was die cut twice or three times, glued together and then glued on.
Once it was all dry and glued to the card base I decided it still needed some bling so tiny little gems were added around the cup.

 Here’s a gluing tip for you….Have you ever laid down a die cut piece or photo face down to glue and then realized you laid it down on some glue that was there from another piece? I have. To avoid this, I use an old magazine to do all my gluing. Open the magazine up……if I’m doing several pieces for the same card, I start at the top left corner and glue. Move to the top right, then bottom left, bottom right and then close the magazine! Start a new page and do the same. If I’m only gluing down one piece, set it anywhere and close the magazine when finished. The pages of the magazine will stick together so when you open it up, you will be at a new page. When it’s fully used up, throw it in the recycle bin and start a new magazine. No more glue stuck to the right side of an image or photo which can permanently damage some when you try to remove the glue.

Wow, that is a long post but that’s all for a sunny and warm Monday, September-23-19.

Cheers

Violet

PS: To save a card to your Pinterest account, simply hover over the image until the ‘Pin It” symbol appears and then click…it sometimes take a few seconds. This will take you to your own Pinterest account to save the card.


1 comment:

  1. LOVE that gluing tip Violet! I'll have to give that a try.. Because i HAVE done that before...grrrr.... Raining here today... thankgoodness.. we need it too.. Rain keeps missing us.. Have not seen Fall cool weather yet.. Summer lingers.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...