Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Santa Welcome Sign on Slate

I'm switching from cards to a painting I did a couple of years ago. I love Santa and Father Christmas decorations, dolls, paintings, etc. I made a Father Christmas doll which I posted last year and I'm thinking of making more but different designs, maybe a folk art one. However, that's a future project.

Here's what's hanging by my front door now.



This is a very long piece of slate. It took hours to paint the beard. Yes, each long strand was painted on separately, layer after layer, starting with darker white to snow white. Its amazing how many shades of white there is! Fun to paint this one. I didn't have a long enough piece of slate to finish it like the original one so I just painted Merry Christmas on his beard.

Here's the original one.
This one was done on a piece of wood that I cut on an angle to match the pattern of his beard. It just sits in our house because my husband is afraid someone will steal it off the front porch. We've had other things disappear from there so he has a point.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...