Wednesday, October 28, 2020

A Slim Line Card

         We had a marvelous fall day here today…sunny, cool but not cold, and just an all-round nice day. I had to get some groceries today and Joe stays home now when I go, so he raked leaves while I was gone. We are a team for sure!

        I’ve started on my Christmas cards! While I was under attack from my brain disorders I was not able to sew….the noise makes the attacks worse…but I was finally well enough to go down to the lower studio (aka the basement) where I do all my crafting other than sewing and beading…and started on making Christmas cards. The big rage right now is slim line cards. I do not rush out and buy extra stamps, envelopes and dies for all the latest fads but I do try to incorporate what I have to see what I can create without buying anything extra. So, here is my first slim line card.

                        
         When Jennifer McGuire (YouTube crafter extraordinaire) mentioned you can put a slim line card into a standard letter envelope I decided I would try it. So the base is a piece of green cardstock cut 7” x 8 ½” and then folded in half so it finishes 3 ½ x 8 ½.

        I had a lot of strips of patterned paper left over from last year…and likely last several years…and decided to use them up. So, it’s hard to see but those are all ½” strips of patterned paper glued to a piece of white paper that is ¼” smaller than the card base. Once the glue was almost dry it was run through an embossing folder of pine needles…this not only adds texture but it really helps secure it. Then VersaMark was smeared around the edges and into the card a bit…I was not careful when smearing because you just cannot smear carefully can you?....anyway, once I was done smearing white embossing powder was poured over it and it was heat embossed. I really liked how the background turned out. Then I had no idea what else to do!

        So after rummaging through my dies I decided to die cut and then emboss this poinsettia from white shiny cardstock. I didn’t want it red or any solid colour but I didn’t like it pure white. So, the edges were sponged and then very, very lightly a little colour was pulled onto the embossed areas. Three red gems were used for the berries.

        Then I had a huge space to fill – the downfall of a slim line card! So large alphabet dies were used to die cut NOEL from both white and red cardstock and then they were glued together but off set a bit so the white showed as a shadow. Once they were glued into place I decided the card was done. It was a fun challenge but will I make another one???? I don’t think so. One was enough.

        That’s all for a nice fall Wednesday on October 28, 2020.

 Cheers

Violet

PS: To save a card to your Pinterest account, simply hover over the image until the ‘Pin It” symbol appears and then click…it sometimes take a few seconds. This will take you to your own Pinterest account to save the card.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...